Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-15-2010, 04:32 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

As much as we don't like it, they are the same breed. Say I wanted to learn more about German Shepherds. I wouldn't want to go searching through "Working GSDs" and "Show GSDs." I would want to read about the entire breed, about the split, about rescue, and what that all means to me about a prospective puppy buyer. JMO of course.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:01 PM
Top Dog

SILKY TERRIER

General: The Silky Terrier, or "Silky," is an energetic, curious, happy, busy, self-assured and loving dog who bonds every strongly with his owner and family. He loves attention and craves your companionship, and he wants to go everywhere and do everything with you. He is not a dog you can leave alone, either inside or outside the house. When bored or ignored he becomes mischievous, and especially loves to dig up your yard! He is a spunky, high-energy dog who is affectionate but doesn't necessarily like to cuddle or be fussed over. He prefers to romp and play with you, and loves ball games and chances to run and play outdoors. He has a great deal of stamina, and needs brisk, daily walks. When outside, he should always be leashed or in a safely fenced area, as he has very strong chase instincts and will run away after small animals. He can also be aggressive toward other dogs, and occasionally suspicious toward strangers. He makes an excellent watchdog because he is alert, suspicious, and intensely protective of his family and territory, and has a very keen sense of hearing. He will warn you with loud, high-pitched barks when he hears or sees something unusual. He can bark too much--in fact he loves to bark!--and must be trained not to do this. He will be barky and standoffish with strangers at first, then after a short while grow comfortable with them. He loves to go out into the world and makes a very good traveling companion. He is easy to train and a quick learner, although he may occasionally be obstinate, and doesn't always obey you. He can be difficult to housebreak. He needs firm and patient training with lots of love, praise and rewards. He is not good with small pets; he is much better at catching rodents than living with them! He can live with a cat if he is raised with it as a puppy. He gets along well with older, well-behaved children, but may not do well with those who are too young and rough with him. He basically doesn't shed, and so would be a good pet if you are a clean-freak.

acceptable colors: black and tan, blue and tan, gray and tan, or silver and tan.

Temperament: This loving, little terrier is very intelligent, courageous and alert. Affectionate, spunky, cheerful and sociable, they like to be close to their master.

Height: 9-10 inches.

Weight: 8-12lbs.

Health Problems: generally healthy but susceptible to legg perthes, luxating patellas, and elbow displaysia, as well as collapsed trachea.

Exercise: Needs a good amount to remain calm, but would do okay in an apartment if sufficiently exercised. 1-2 hours per day probably.

Life Expectancy: 12-15 years.

Grooming: prone to mats and tangles and need daily brushing. If kept in a show coat, it will require a lot of work. Most keep in puppy cut, so trips to the groomer are frequent (every 6-10 weeks). Needs bathed once a week or once every 2 weeks at least

Ideal living conditions: Almost anywhere really. They adapt well to any type of living, apartments, townhomes, farm, single family home, city or country life, etc.

"Ideal" owner: Someone with lots of attention to give. Don't expect to come home and lay down with a nice little lap dog, that they are not.

Trainability: Very intelligent. Can learn new commands very quickly, but can be stubborn.

Useful links for those who want to own/know more about this breed:
(good breeders, breed info sites, clubs, etc..)
Silky Terrier Club of America
American Kennel Club - Silky Terrier

Credit-http://www.dobralcosilkyterriers.com

Credit- Blackrange Kennel

Credit - http://dawnwind.williamarts.us

Annnddd puppies!

Brit & Jackson

Old 09-15-2010, 06:35 PM
Resident fainting goat

Silky terrier owners probably get a sh*tload of.. "WHAT A CUTE YORKIE!!" lol

and those puppies..OMG SO CUTE!!
Old 09-15-2010, 11:07 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post
Silky terrier owners probably get a sh*tload of.. "WHAT A CUTE YORKIE!!" lol

and those puppies..OMG SO CUTE!!

Ohhh yes! lol. I always get the "Is he a Silky Terrier?" with Jackson, which is what led me to discover the breed in the first place. I didn't know so many people around here knew what a Silky was, lol. To me, Jackson fits the Silky temperament to a tee, as well as looks. But I don't know! He may just be my mutant Yorkie.

Brit & Jackson

Old 10-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Active Pup

Default which dog breed is this? please reply urgent.

k-9 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Old 10-16-2010, 06:55 PM
Active Pup

Default Papeagle: Papillon Beagle Cross Breed

BREED NAME
Papeagle: Papillon Beagle Cross Breed

GENERAL DESCRIPTION: Looks like a small dainty beagle.

acceptable colors: White with deep auburn markings.

Temperament: sweet and loyal

Height: 12-15 inches

Weight: 15-20 lbs

Health Problems:

Exercise: Moderate

Life Expectancy:

Grooming: Minimum to moderate, needs to be bathed about once a month.

What to look for in a breeder:

Ideal living conditions: Would be fine in an apartment or house.

"Ideal" owner:

Trainability: Fairly easy.

Other traits: (good with kids, cats, other dogs, pets, strangers.... likes the cold, likes the heat... activies/sports the breed does well in)

We have only had our Papealge for about 3 months and she does great with our 2 kids (3 & 5) our 2 cats and adjust well to our frequent dog sitting of other dogs, is some what afraid of bigger dogs, like the Bull Mastiff down the street. She does not seem to care for the cold, does well in heat and I walk her 2-3 miles in a single walk per day. She LOVES to play tag with other dogs in our big fenced in back yard. She is fast!

Helpful sites:Papeagle | Papeagles - Beagle x Papillon Breed Information & Photos - Designer & Mixed Breed Dog Community

Izzi Roe - 10 month old Papeagle.
Old 10-16-2010, 07:54 PM
F150 and a .30-06

**Deap Breath**

You do NOT have a Papeage. You have a Beagle Pap cross. AKA a MUTT. It is not a breed and anyone who is breeding these dogs together is a detminent to the spceisies as a whole, not just the breed. If you own a MUTT great, alter it and enjoy it. Do NOT breed it to god knows what and put puppies in shelters.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 12-13-2010, 05:31 PM
Resident fainting goat

Can a mod please delete the papeagle post? I kinda wanted to keep this thread a lil more informative lol the previously mentioned dogbreedinfo has enough mixed breeds to last a lifetime
Old 03-04-2011, 10:04 PM
Top Dog

LHASA APSO

Acceptable Colors: Any color is acceptable, from light blonde to black.

Temperament: Excellent watch dog. Can be wary with strangers. Attached to their people but not overly clingy. Very active and hardy. Socialize early with people, other dogs, and other animals. Like to keep an eye on things - often from a higher point in the house.

Height: 10-11 inches.

Weight: 10-20 lbs.

Health Problems: Mainly skin and eye problems (PRA, KCS, cherry eye), can be prone to allergies.

Exercise: Moderate. They need and enjoy a good romp in the backyard or a long walk, but it's not over the top.

Life Expectancy: Fairly long. 12-15 years.

Grooming: Extensive. Need to be brushed often, especially if kept in a long coat - the fine hair tends to tangle. Needs to be clipped down, especially around the face/ears/tail/feet. They are extremely low shedders.

What to Look For in a Breeder: Breeding well-tempered dogs - you want assertive, not fearful or snappy. Health-testing is a MUST - the more the better, especially with eye-related testing.

Ideal Living Conditions: A quieter household - they are wary of strangers and might not enjoy people coming in and out at all hours.

"Ideal" Owner: Someone who is home a lot, or who is able to take their dog with them - Lhasas LOVE being with their people.

Trainability: Depends on the dog, but normally fairly trainable.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:54 AM
On second thought...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarmerGirl2010 View Post
These breeds prefer cold to heat, unless shaven.
I politely disagree with this statement, I know it's much an area of debate in the dog community whether or not shaving is beneficial to dogs. Chows certainly do better in cooler climates, but frequently brushing a Chow's coat to clean out loose undercoat and improve circulation is the best thing you can do to keep a Chow cool. The problem I find with shaving is that dogs don't cool down like people do. Since we sweat, removing clothes helps us cool down by exposing our skin so that the sweat can evaporate quicker. A chow's coat is supposed to protect him from cold as well as heat.

Shaving doesn't necessarily make a chow feel cooler, and a side effect can be exposing the skin to the sunlight and risking a sunburn.