Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 01-14-2005, 02:01 PM
Island dweller

Thanks for mentioning that, Renee. About the fumes. I guess I just assumed it was common knowledge, like bleach on the floor. I wouldn't live in a garage for that reason.

As for feeding your dog Iams. Well, that's the brand I dislike the most. Peta did an "expose" on it. http://www.iamscruelty.com/ and while Peta is, well Peta, there is other evidence to suggest that they treat their animals poorly. The quality of both those foods is debatable to say the least. You will find a lot of information on these threads about it and I suggest you take a look. A puppy that big will consume large amounts of food and you probably want her to have the best she can.

Saje
Old 01-18-2005, 02:11 PM
Active Pup

Hi all, I'm back. I have some reading to catchup on. On the keeping Missy in garage thought... I have no vehicles in the garage and it is a remodeled room that I use as my office. I have the garage door still, that is why I refer to it as a the garage. Missy has her own "pen area" and that is why I feel I am not locking her away, just in her room. I am usually always around her and the kids are also once they return from school. This weekend I had to go out of town for a conference and she was at the sitters while I was gone. I dislike doing that, but when I have to go out of town the vet takes excellent care of animals.
Old 01-18-2005, 02:47 PM
Island dweller

Well, it sounds like you are comfortable and confident with keeping her there so I'm sure it will go well.
Old 01-19-2005, 04:43 PM
Abby's Mom

my Saint is having a hard time potty breaking also. She doesn't bark so there fore we don't know she needs out. Really good when we are up but at night we have a lake in the morning. She is not crated per-say. We have her gated in a area of her own in the house.
Old 01-19-2005, 05:28 PM
Island dweller

Maybe the key with her, Nitewarrior, would be to set an alarm and take her out at least once during the night. I know it's horrible to wake up in the middle of a good sleep but it will help her learn to go outside. She may just no have the control to make it through the night yet. How old is she?
Old 01-20-2005, 11:46 AM
Active Pup

HI Nitewarrior, I also have a saint bernard and attempting to potty train. Missy is eleven weeks old and doing better each day on crete training. I have been following the website and advice Saja sent me and it has helped. I believe the key to a saint and any other breed is to keep them on a schedule and follow it to a "T". At the end of the day, I put Missy in her pen for the night and put down puppy paper. And she does have to go during the night, but she goes on the paper. SO far (Knock on wood) she has been doing wonderful. I might try getting up in the middle of the night to try and eliminate the puppy paper, but I'm trying this for now. How is your Saint? Male/female?