Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 09-02-2010, 09:16 AM
Let it be

Default When can I get my cat spayed?

She is around 5 months old, give or take a bit. I'll get her exact age soon as I asked the friend who gave her to my sister when her birthday was. I really want to get her fixed before the baby gets here so it's not one more thing on my mind. I don't want to have to worry about leaving the door open for a second too long getting a car seat to the truck or a stroller out the door, her scooting out for a second and scampering off to get pregnant. We don't need another young momma in this house!

She also has a pronounced bump on her tummy that I am thinking could very well be a hernia. Can they tackle that problem too while she's under?

I'd call the vet office and ask but the receptionist has a heavy accent that I cannot understand. Love the place I use but talking to them over the phone fails miserably.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:22 AM
Sport Model Pug

She can be spayed anytime now and they should be able to fix the hernia. We have kittens at the humane society that get spayed as early as 10 weeks and while not ideal it does the job and they come out of it very well. I think it's as long as they're over 2 or 3lbs if i recall that they can be spayed.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 09-02-2010, 09:57 AM
Let it be

Yeah Pigface was spayed young as her entire litter was fixed before going to their new homes, as well as the momma cat. Needless to say she didn't leave, but she was spayed early. I couldn't remember how young. But that's good to know. I'll talk to my mom about taking her in within the next week or two.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:58 AM
Top Dog

Yep, they can really get spayed anything after 8 weeks. Heck, we spay kittens at the shelter as young as 6 weeks.
Old 09-02-2010, 11:28 AM
Love My Mutt <3

She is fine to get spayed, and they will be able to fix the hernia at the same time. AllieMackie's cat, JuneBug, had a hernia that was fixed when she was spayed, at the shelter.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13