Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 08-19-2010, 12:26 PM
I'm a dog lover, and you?

Wow amazing post. this threat should become sticky...

There is some tip I wanted to share with you.
We live in Tampa, and we have some hot days here at the summer. when I want to spoil my dogs, I give them a sweet treat that makes them so so so happy.

I buy these diet frozen ice sticks, make sure they do not have any colors or sugar in them (there are lot's of good ones around, also very cheap), I place them at the freezer, and when we are back from a walk at the hot sun I soil them with a piece of that frozen good stuff, you can't imagine how happy they are...

Woof Woof guys...
Old 09-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Active Pup

I make my dog treats without any butter or oil or anything that isn't good for a dog. Dogs do need some fat in their diet, so I use natural fat that is found in natural peanut butter and ground flax seed, etc. The ground flax seed is also rich in Omega 6 and Omega 3.
Old 09-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woofwoof1 View Post
I buy these diet frozen ice sticks, make sure they do not have any colors or sugar in them (there are lot's of good ones around, also very cheap), I place them at the freezer, and when we are back from a walk at the hot sun I soil them with a piece of that frozen good stuff, you can't imagine how happy they are...

Woof Woof guys...
VERY BAD idea. Some of the artificial sweeteners used in diet foods are DEADLY to dogs, and they aren't all that good for us, either.

Actually, there's nothing wrong with honest butter (not margarine), olive oil and even animal fats in moderation for dogs. Animal fats and butter are much closer to their natural food sources.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-06-2010, 05:10 PM
Active Pup

Need to be careful about the diet sugar free stuff. A lot of the diet stuff have artificial sweeteners that are not good for dogs.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Top Dog

oh wow, interesting...

the crockpot diet I make for oakley has garlic cloves in it. Guess its only like 2 cloves for like 2 weeks of food though.

And did NOT know about xylitol...I;ve had a giant pack of gum with xylitol just sitting on my desk for the past 2 days. Thank god Oakley wasn't tempted!! TIme to move that just in case...

Thanks Jessie!

Old 12-22-2010, 11:20 PM
Active Pup

people foods that are toxic to pets is below:

Grapes, raisins, and currants
Caffeine
Chocolate
Xylitol
Onions, garlic, chives, and leeks
Yeast-bread dough
Fatty foods
Pet-safe people food
Old 12-23-2010, 08:32 AM
Active Pup

Other common toxins are apple seed, olives, and avocado.
My Rocky LOVES apples so I cut the apple in half and take out all the seeds for him. Its a great snack for him to have. My dogs also love to eat whole raw carrots.

Home Page GRAIN FREE
Old 02-21-2011, 08:41 PM
Top Dog

After my experience this past 24hrs. with xylitol poisoning (not confirmed but they have all the symptoms) I'm never going to have it in my house again.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:55 AM
oliver.reyes

I also didnt know at first that chocolates can harm dogs. I use to give my dog a chocolate before he died. But, he didnt died because of the chocolates i gave, sometimes i saw him too weak,i guess chocolate is the reason why he is weak. Thanks for the post. Im planing to buy a new puppy, so it can help me a lot.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:10 AM
hershey20

Its a great snack for him to have. My dogs also I use to give my dog a chocolate before he died. ove to eat whole raw carrots.