Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-02-2010, 10:52 AM
Puppy Dog

Exclamation Need advice asap

Well ok i have a one year old border collie dalmatian mix. he is SO hyper and very stubbern. i tell him to sit and he sits no longer than a second i tell him to go lay down and he goes and lays down for no more than a minute. it seems like he has seperation anxiety and its driving me crazy! ok also he has a bad thing on digging and ripping plants apart!!! i mean he shreds them i stuck my violent vine plant outside for more sun let him outside for no more than 5 mins looked out the window and i had NO plant it was all over the ground! my DH is getting mad he wants me to get rid of him and i dont want to can someone help me
Old 08-02-2010, 12:30 PM
overdogged

how much exercise does he get? how much training does he get? have you taken him to obedience class?

he's a one year old mix of two extremely high energy breeds. it's kind of to be expected that he's going to have a ton of energy, and if you're not giving him appropriate outlets for it, he's gonna make his own fun.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 08-02-2010, 01:02 PM
Taxiderpy

At one year old your dog is still a puppy. Not only that, he's a teenage puppy. They are the champions of not listening, and tend to be at their worst as far as destructiveness and not being able to settle down. We have a pointer who is finally coming out of that stage (phew!). They typically don't begin settling down into their adult temperament until they are about 2.

You need to find ways to tire him out. A tired dog is a good dog. What size yard do you have? Does it allow him to stretch out and run full speed?

You might look into making a flirt pole:
YouTube - Blue Pitbull Pit Bull Flirt Pole Training Flirtpole

Or build an A frame in your yard and put him over it 75 times in a row.

Dalmations and border collies are both extremely high energy and smart. Mental exercise can be just as tiring as physical. Start feeding all his meals through puzzle toys like buster cubes. This way eating becomes a job he can work at.

Try to come up with things like this that can become part of his routine.

You probably won't be able to leave any valuable plants within his reach until he's grown (at least). Our pointer is a destructotron 5000. He rips out every plant and debarks every tree he comes in contact with. So, we ended up putting chicken wire around the trunks of the trees in his pen (it's 100' x 30') and not planting anything on the fence.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMgirl View Post
i tell him to sit and he sits no longer than a second i tell him to go lay down and he goes and lays down for no more than a minute.
Well, he did what he was asked to do. Have you taught him a stay?

And as elegy said, is he getting enough mental and physical stimulation? Is he getting enough time with his people? BC's are very handler oriented and dals are too to some extent. He's not going to be happy being put in the yard alone.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team