Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-26-2010, 11:52 AM
Mainstreme Elitist

Default This had to be a test, seriously.

I think god was testing me today. Seriously, I stopped in the vets to pick up Comfortis for the girls and I had to wait FOREVER. Anyways, there were too ladies there one had a 'pit bull' with a litter of puppies that she was getting the tails docked on...wtf on that to begin with. The other lady had a litter of poms. So while I'm standing at the counter they start talking. The conversation went something like this.

(For simplicity pl will be the pom lady and ol will be the other lady.)

PL: Is this your first litter?
OL: Yeah
PL: Do you have your own male then?
OL: No
PL: Oh you should definitely buy your own male, that's what I did. Stud fees are just too expensive and too much of a hassle.

So at this point I started getting pissed and the lady with the poms just kept going on and on about how much money there is in breeding dogs and how all of her females have two litters a year because they just 'love being mommies'. And how you get way more out of it if you just buy your own male, etc etc. I swear it was a test from above. I took the high road and didn't cause a scene in the vets office. I came very very close though.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet
Old 07-26-2010, 12:12 PM
Felurian

WTF is right . . . that whole conversation is just wrong on so many levels.

And what kind of idiot docks APBT tails?

And what kind of vet will do that, anyway?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 07-26-2010, 01:02 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

You and me both. We have a new hire at the clinic. He'll be working in the kennels (I work kennels and grooming) and I was in charge of giving him his working interview today. We got to talking and the subject turned to what breed of dogs we have. He said, "Oh, my folks raise Labradors."
I was immeadiately intrigued, of course, and said, "Oh, I LOVE Labs and I've been dying to get a puppy. Do they show or hunt them?"
"No, they just breed and sell 'em. We have about 40 right now."
"Oh."
"We just got one that is a Champagne."
"That's, what, a yellow?" (It ruffled him a bit that I thought a "Champagne" was "just a yellow".)
"Ya, a silver factored yellow. They have a yellow/silver coat and blue eyes. We mainly breed silvers, but we think we're going start breeding champagnes."
Then a coworker jumped in and saved me from commenting, thank God. If I didn't have to work with him I would have said something, but that would not be a good way to start off a coworking relationship.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 07-26-2010, 03:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upendi&Mina View Post
I think god was testing me today. Seriously, I stopped in the vets to pick up Comfortis for the girls and I had to wait FOREVER. Anyways, there were too ladies there one had a 'pit bull' with a litter of puppies that she was getting the tails docked on...wtf on that to begin with. The other lady had a litter of poms. So while I'm standing at the counter they start talking. The conversation went something like this.

(For simplicity pl will be the pom lady and ol will be the other lady.)

PL: Is this your first litter?
OL: Yeah
PL: Do you have your own male then?
OL: No
PL: Oh you should definitely buy your own male, that's what I did. Stud fees are just too expensive and too much of a hassle.

So at this point I started getting pissed and the lady with the poms just kept going on and on about how much money there is in breeding dogs and how all of her females have two litters a year because they just 'love being mommies'. And how you get way more out of it if you just buy your own male, etc etc. I swear it was a test from above. I took the high road and didn't cause a scene in the vets office. I came very very close though.
I'm just glad nothing like that happened in my vet's office while I was their. I would have told them right up front how wrong they are for breeding their dogs like that without any genetic testing first and back to back litters and only in it for the money. Sure they would have been offended but I could care less. Would it bother me if they had a bad opinion of me, again I could care less. I'm sure I offend a lot of people but that's their problem and not mine.

Can someone please kill this flea before it jumps on Lola
Old 07-26-2010, 04:28 PM
Top Dog

It just makes one cringe, hearing people like that. I just hate it when I run into people around where I live that breed their pet dogs, even mutts. I just don't know what to say. I'm not very confrontational either because it doesn't do any good. These people already know it all. And it would just go in one ear and out the other. Frustrating.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson