Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-25-2010, 01:51 AM
F150 and a .30-06

LOL Laur. You were so busy I thought you forgot.

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 07-25-2010, 12:15 PM
Top Dog

It sounds like a fun day! So much to do and see at those shows. The dog sports are my favorite. I especially love watching the free style. Glad it was a good experience for you all!
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 07-25-2010, 01:47 PM
Are you dead yet?

Funny that you mention BCs being plain looking. Some of them really are. You can have a curly coated, predominately black dog with no visible muscle tone or any sign that it's an athletic animal... and then it sets its body in motion and becomes the most beautiful dog I've ever seen. When I watch border collies work sheep or do agility, I don't think I've ever seen an unattractive one.

The fact that most of them are nice looking dogs is just a bonus. Then again, I have a different view of what makes an attractive dog than a lot of people do. As far as appearance goes (short of Papillons, who I have an enormous soft spot for) I don't like dogs with extremely exaggerated features, I like them to be tough, athletic and sound. I like that there is nothing extreme about a border collie, nothing has been physically altered very far from their predator ancestors. I can look at a picture of my own dog and a picture of a coyote and, were the coat type/color different, it'd be almost like looking at the same animal.

I think that's another part of what I love so much about the breed. I've always admired wolves and wild dogs (and wild cats, for that matter) for the way they move, the focus with which they stalk their prey.. and BCs have that same smooth, flawless elegance in motion.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:47 PM
Water Junkie

I'm glad you were able to confirm your feelings about the Border Collie.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 07-25-2010, 01:55 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD View Post
Funny that you mention BCs being plain looking. Some of them really are. You can have a curly coated, predominately black dog with no visible muscle tone or any sign that it's an athletic animal... and then it sets its body in motion and becomes the most beautiful dog I've ever seen. When I watch border collies work sheep or do agility, I don't think I've ever seen an unattractive one.

The fact that most of them are nice looking dogs is just a bonus. Then again, I have a different view of what makes an attractive dog than a lot of people do. As far as appearance goes (short of Papillons, who I have an enormous soft spot for) I don't like dogs with extremely exaggerated features, I like them to be tough, athletic and sound. I like that there is nothing extreme about a border collie, nothing has been physically altered very far from their predator ancestors. I can look at a picture of my own dog and a picture of a coyote and, were the coat type/color different, it'd be almost like looking at the same animal.

I think that's another part of what I love so much about the breed. I've always admired wolves and wild dogs (and wild cats, for that matter) for the way they move, the focus with which they stalk their prey.. and BCs have that same smooth, flawless elegance in motion.
I am exactly the same way. Once you get them moving they're just breathtaking. Even the most plain looking BC. I love the way they slink around. I can definitely say I've never seen an ugly one.

I don't think paps are as extremely built as most other small dogs either. They have the exaggerated ears and coat (on some) but other than that I see a similar build to the other breeds I find attractive. But paps aren't the most beautiful dogs to me either. For them its the personality that sets them apart in my mind.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:04 PM
Are you dead yet?

The thing I love so much about Paps is the fact that their appearance and personality go hand-in-hand, better than any other breed I've met before. The banner of joy (pap tail) and the enormous ears that they can completely tuck back and make disappear.... <3333 totally makes me melt.

I also like them because, compared to other small dogs, they really are DOG-shaped and are still capable of being very athletic. I don't like the bug-eyed, dome-skulled look. I don't like the brachycephalic (sp) look. I feel similarly about little spitz dogs like Poms, I just don't like their coats and personalities as much as I like a Papillon's.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:23 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD View Post
The thing I love so much about Paps is the fact that their appearance and personality go hand-in-hand, better than any other breed I've met before. The banner of joy (pap tail) and the enormous ears that they can completely tuck back and make disappear.... <3333 totally makes me melt.

I also like them because, compared to other small dogs, they really are DOG-shaped and are still capable of being very athletic. I don't like the bug-eyed, dome-skulled look. I don't like the brachycephalic (sp) look. I feel similarly about little spitz dogs like Poms, I just don't like their coats and personalities as much as I like a Papillon's.
I agree completely.

A lot of people that have met them have been so surprised at how much they move their ears around. Their ears are so expressive. They look like happy little messes and they really are.

Of course several people at the show told me Mia had the sweetest face of any dog they've ever seen and I just had to think... Mia? SWEET?