Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-12-2010, 10:17 PM
Active Pup

Default Why have both my dogs suddenly started to bark... all the time?

Ok, it must be something I am doing. I am trying to retrain my dogs and taking as much advice as I can get. Yesterday I started and got some great ideas which I started today.
- Both dogs have been on leashes our outside all day
- Both dogs have been given treats for good "sits" and "downs"
- We are are also learning "leave it" around the baby's high-chair

But now, we have another problem. The dogs have suddenly started barking at everything. Cody, who has always been a bit skittish usually starts it - maybe something he heard in another room or someone outside and then off they go, barking and barking and barking.

Also, I have no idea how to stop a dog from barking. Any links would be much appreciated. I have been reading / reading but there are so many conflicting ideas which is why I am still working on this after 8 years. I don't want to use any bark collars, sprays, physical threats, etc... I have heard those all before and that is why I have this problem - because I listened the trainers that sold that junk. Now, I want to do it the right way.

One more caveat... I can't use a clicker - only food or verbal praise because my husband can't take that sound.

EDIT: Just to be clear. I have started training with positive reinforcement today (see the items above) and now my dogs have started barking... at everything. Since this method is new to me today, I am worried I am doing something wrong. What could I be doing that is causing them to bark more?

Last edited by TryingToTrain; 07-12-2010 at 10:49 PM.