Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 07-10-2010, 08:30 PM
BusterLove

Default Buster is so smart

Just a little brag, Buster is really impressing me lately.

I've been trying to teach him to weave through my legs for months with a lure and he just hasn't got it. He chases the food but doesn't notice what he's doing.

So I decided to try to shape it instead, it took 3 days and now he's doing it. First session I just concentrated on getting him to move once through my legs, then the next session I got him to go back the other way aswell and now he can do it 4 or 5 times and loves it. We still need to fade out the rewards, add a cue etc but he's got the general idea in his head.

I seriously love this dog so much, he's an absolute champion.

Old 07-10-2010, 11:43 PM
Top Dog

Awesome!!! I've been on-and-off trying to teach this to Luna for a couple of years (mostly off, LOL), and have not been successful at all. Of course I started with luring, which would only work as long as I could bend over that far, and I was never able to fade the lure. Then I tried using a touch stick, which went a little easier but I still was never able to fade it. I haven't tried just freeshaping it, maybe I'll play around with it some more and see if we can make some progress.

Incidently, I did try it with the touch stick with my friend's dog, and she learned it very quickly, faded the stick and everything.
Old 07-11-2010, 01:18 PM
Top Dog

Thumbs up .

Your mistakes are training you. It happens to everyone, you have to learn how to break it down into baby steps. Good job!

Last edited by Maura; 07-11-2010 at 01:19 PM. Reason: .