Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-29-2010, 10:20 PM
Professional Nerd

Default So you think you want a Malinois...

So many people tell me that they want a Malinois. I've decided to start documenting fun moments with Harry.

I picked up Harry & Grant from the boarding kennel Sunday evening. I chose this particular kennel because they have indoor/outdoor runs. They even have a couple that have lids on them inside and out, just for containing spaz dogs like Harry. Imagine my shock when I discovered that he had escaped their Super Deluxe Escape Proof Kennel a couple of times. Fortunately, his escapes were in the indoor portion of his run. I guess the Saturday morning kennel attendant showed up for work, and was surprised to find Harry waiting for her in the kitchen. They assume that he crawled through a hole in the lid that wasn't very secure, dropped in the the run next to him that contained Grant, and then jumped out of Grant's uncovered kennel. After they reinforced that spot, he just started tearing at the chain link on the kennel door, and got out that way.

Until next time...

Other Malinois people are welcome to add stories
Old 06-29-2010, 10:41 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

When I boarded Tyr, the kennel had indoor/outdoor runs with guillotine doors. The would lock all the dogs on one side with the guillotine down, then go around to the other side, open all the gates doors, pick up toys/bowls/beds etc, scoop poop and start hosing down with cleaner and then water and then squeegee it. All the run gates would be left open while cleaning, since the dogs are locked out of that side of the run.

Tyr shared his run with Morgan. Not only did he open the guillotine door to get himself loose, he held it open to spring Morgan with him.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 06-29-2010, 11:13 PM
Behavior Nerd

Something might be wrong with me - these sorts of stories just make me want a Malinois even more!

Of course I do sometimes wonder if Kes is ACD/Mali so, yea.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:24 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Something might be wrong with me - these sorts of stories just make me want a Malinois even more!
When are you moving here so you can be close enough to borrow one for a weekend?

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 06-29-2010, 11:56 PM
Behavior Nerd

Hahahahahahahahaha! Bring it on!

Old 06-30-2010, 09:18 AM
Love my pets

Well he sure is food driven! Maybe they forgot to give him his midnight snack! So sorry, but I couldn't resist saying that.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:30 AM
Professional Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb04 View Post
Well he sure is food driven! Maybe they forgot to give him his midnight snack! So sorry, but I couldn't resist saying that.
Yeah, I was wondering how much he got into in there. He didn't come home with diarrhea, at least!
Old 07-02-2010, 07:35 AM
BSL Can Be Beaten

Friend of mine has 3 now; her first one is one the GD style and is quite a bit mellower; but still a wee bit more dog than I want; I love him though; in small doses. Her little itty bitty 35 lber is OTT. She was considering donating her to the local police station for use as a service dog. Ha,ha. They loved her drive for searches; wouldn't come out of any environment without the ball once; even if that meant a search of 1/2 hour and would continue such searches without stopping for hours. That was great while the officer who was caring for her was off shift; once he went back on; the dog stayed in their kennel for 5 days straight; ate her way out through a 2X4 and had to go to the vets to have 3 lbs of wood removed from her stomach (which thankfully the police paid for). My friend took her dog back and recommended they stay with shepherds. My friend is certifying her as a bomb dog this month.

She has now adopted another from the local humane society and shocker as to why this little bitch was there; holy drivey hannah; she's so not a "pet" dog. She'll also be trained either as a cadaver dog or bomb dog; and either retained by my friend or placed with a department that will work her.

I think anyone that wants a Mali; should watch these videos and remember a few keys;
YouTube - malinois in china

How do you fence them in -- when they are climbing trees, performing back flips (for schtz and giggles) and scaling at least 8 ft block walls? Hmmm?

Jennifer Sider First Dog Off the Porch Custom Collars
Mom to Mitchell, Avalon, Ninja, Jiggs and Misty
Life is forever and everything is just an experience on the road to enlightenment.

Old 07-02-2010, 08:50 AM
Behavior Nerd

I would think it's not so much just fencing them in, but putting the ability to vault things on cue and under control.

(Kes clears 4' easily and has since he was about 8 months - it's not something that was taught, but he will generally respect a barrier of only 30" if I ask him to)

Old 07-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Professional Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitbullpony View Post
Friend of mine has 3 now; her first one is one the GD style and is quite a bit mellower;

GD style?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
I would think it's not so much just fencing them in, but putting the ability to vault things on cue and under control.

(Kes clears 4' easily and has since he was about 8 months - it's not something that was taught, but he will generally respect a barrier of only 30" if I ask him to)

Yes, that is exactly it. In French Ring, we teach the dogs the palisade, so essentially I actually taught Harry that it's ok to climb a 7.5 foot wall. We only have a 4 foot fence, and Harry has NEVER tried to jump it. He could easily, but he's learned to respect the barrier.