Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-22-2010, 12:16 AM
Mainstreme Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlottMom View Post
on the false preg thing - Liz has really rough ones too. Once I'm for sure done with showing her, she's getting spayed. It's a tough call 'cos she's really nice for little kids to handle, but I can't watch her go through many more of these. She's so *miserable* and gets super cranky with the other dogs (Daisy's been to the vet twice and gotten blood all over my walls in the last two years...). And I'm terrified she'll get mastitis, as she lactates every time without fail...
I'm glad Upendi's not the only one. She also has a tendency to get snarky when going through a fp with other dogs and with people she doesn't see regularly. Especially if they go anywhere near her 'babies'.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet
Old 06-22-2010, 12:51 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

I had Ozzy done at 14 months old when he started marking in the house. He started showing his dog aggression at the same time, and Id hoped that neutering would help that too. It stopped the marking, but he's still as DA as ever.

We had Enzo done at 14 months as well. Right after her first heat (which was a bloody mess, literally) and it was more for conveince than anything. She was a messy messy dog, it was disgusting to deal with (Steven almost flat out refused to have anything to do with her) and I did NOT want to go through that again. If I thought I could have handled it one more time Idve waited until she was two to do it, but I was terrified she'd go in again before her appointment.

That said, she's a humper she mostly humps other females, but she'll hump Ozzy too.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:44 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by elegy View Post
she didn't, but i expect it has to do with growth plates and growth rates and those sort of mechanical things.
Testosterone is the main hormone responsible for telling the growth plates to close (in laymen's terms). If you take away that main source of testosterone, the testicles, the growth plates take longer to close thus resulting in a taller animal with possibly some growth-related musculoskeletal issues. (of course they aren't going to automatically have issues, but it can cause some in some dogs)

I'm with Renee. I think the choice should be made with as much solid education behind it and taking into consideration the owner's situation.

For me, it has always depended on the individual dog.
Old 06-22-2010, 10:31 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlottMom View Post
on the false preg thing - Liz has really rough ones too. Once I'm for sure done with showing her, she's getting spayed. It's a tough call 'cos she's really nice for little kids to handle, but I can't watch her go through many more of these. She's so *miserable* and gets super cranky with the other dogs (Daisy's been to the vet twice and gotten blood all over my walls in the last two years...). And I'm terrified she'll get mastitis, as she lactates every time without fail...
If she starts to look or act like she might be experiencing some mammary pain (and I wish I'd known this when Tallulah went through it) the best course is to start warm water therapy -- essentially using a shower massage on the entire area for about 15 minutes, two or three times a day. Catch it early and you might be able to avoid the antibiotic treatment. Raw honey is also a natural antibiotic, so if she'll eat a teaspoon of that it can help, too.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-22-2010, 03:43 PM
The Littlest Hound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
If she starts to look or act like she might be experiencing some mammary pain (and I wish I'd known this when Tallulah went through it) the best course is to start warm water therapy -- essentially using a shower massage on the entire area for about 15 minutes, two or three times a day. Catch it early and you might be able to avoid the antibiotic treatment. Raw honey is also a natural antibiotic, so if she'll eat a teaspoon of that it can help, too.
Thank you - that's wonderful advice!! I'm sure she'd eat honey, lol. I'll remember this for the next go round...

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CH CCH CA 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage OFA Hips: Good

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug (5/2004 - 3/2014)
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 06-22-2010, 04:33 PM
Top Dog

Just remember it has to be RAW honey. Pasteurization gets rid of pretty much anything that's beneficial in honey. Raw honey is also a really good topical antibiotic, and it works wonders for colds and other crap in the winter too
Old 06-22-2010, 06:55 PM
overdogged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
Testosterone is the main hormone responsible for telling the growth plates to close (in laymen's terms). If you take away that main source of testosterone, the testicles, the growth plates take longer to close thus resulting in a taller animal with possibly some growth-related musculoskeletal issues. (of course they aren't going to automatically have issues, but it can cause some in some dogs)
yup, and in a performance dog, that can be especially important. my biggest concern, because luce blew both knees, was that steve's legs and angles be allowed to grow and develop the way that they were supposed to, in the hopes that he'll stay sound.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 06-22-2010, 09:00 PM
Top Dog

Interesting. Wonder if it's part of why B is so tall and lanky. People always think he's a puppy even though he's 2 now.
Old 06-23-2010, 03:56 PM
Ferret Keeper

I would have to say for responsible owners it there own choice. I work in a shelter and think all those coming from us should be done, Just because I see all the animals that come and go. personally both of my dogs are currently intact. neither leave my house off a leash and both are well behaved.. Well Jack is still learning but he has only been with us since dec. I will be having both of the neutered, Mostly because of the local dog's disappearing Alot of bull and pitbulls, I think someone is doing it to get new blood for dogrings:/ As my pax is not a bully breed but a brendal that most people ask if he is a bully, For his own safety i will have him done. I dont want that .000001% chance he gets out/get taken and someone uses him to making fighting puppies:/
Old 06-24-2010, 04:11 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bailey08 View Post
Interesting. Wonder if it's part of why B is so tall and lanky. People always think he's a puppy even though he's 2 now.
Enzo is two and a half, and I still get asked if she's a puppy. Most people guess anywhere from 6 to 12 months old. She's very small for a lab though, just shy of making the standards minimum, so I can see why people think that.

When she's fully muscled, she weighs about 50 pounds. If I wanted her in show condition, she'd actually meet the minimum, it would just require putting a bunch of fat on her. I keep her lean, and we don't run anymore, so she's lost some muscle mass in her thighs. She still has buns of steel though, lol. She's not short of meeting the height minimum, just the weight.