Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 06-22-2010, 11:24 AM
Athletic Labs. They Exist

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilahRoot View Post
Have you tried lab blocks? I like Mazuri, but some others prefer Harlan Teklad.
Yes they are on Lab Blocks as well. The seed mix ranges week to week. This was just what was available when the stuff I prefered was sold out. Its not something I would buy otherwise. The millet is a constant though.

Also the diet the RY brindles are on is different than Tivas because she is so prone to gain weight.

And I will quote again
Quote:
This can range from slight portliness in some mice, to extreme obesity in others.
So Malorey as PuppyDog said good for you. But not all mice are the same. I am not uneducated on how Tiva's diet must be. She doesent get any extra treats or anything. I even had her diet approved by two reputable Fancy breeders who deal with brindles on anouther mouse forum. I can link you if you would like in a PM.

PuppyDog,

it still kinda ranges as far as what is the better enclosure. In Europe they have alot better mouse safe cages with bars that they cannot squeeze through. Over in the US most of those cages are made more so for Hamsters and are very easy for most mice to slip through or injure themselves on. Not that some mice can't live in them. But I had a male mouse as a kid who got stuck and injured his leg in one of those cages.

And so that makes the tanks generally safer over here. Though ventilation isn't as great as a open cage. I have never had any issues with my mice in tanks. But the mice in each tank get 4+ hours free range/out of tank time a day as well.

Fran lol thanks I agree they are all really cute. And yup I built them all their popsicle stuff in their cages. They love it, and the toys/houses are fun to make. Whenever I put something new in they bounce around it and get all excited. Its really cute. And yes they love tubes just as much as hamsters .

Thanks again everyone.
Sawyer (2 year old, Labrador Retriever)
Morisson (2 year old, Lab/Beagle)
And aunt to-
Grace
aka my brothers/roommates dog.(1 year old, Lab/Shiba Inu)
Old 06-22-2010, 11:30 AM

Oh! And I talked to my breeder friend (who also has some chubby Brindles). And she said that the Tiva is technically "Snow Tiger Brindle". Her heart mouse is the same color and goes through molts as well (color changes).

Someone on a Rat forum mentioned that in Rats the color is called "Husky"? Which is pretty funny because now that I look at Tiva I think she looks like a tiny Husky lol.
And aunt to-
Grace
Old 06-22-2010, 06:15 PM
Big Dog

I don't know much about mice but they are all cute! My friend has some that are pretty ugly I really like Kiwis and Mango's colors!
Old 06-22-2010, 06:15 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

All of your mice are just adorable!!

I have a color changing mouse as well! (I hope you don't mind me posting pictures. ) I was told by the breeder she was a fawn, but I was later informed by someone else that she was a brindle. Either way, she started off tan and then developed a black spot on her back, which then transformed into some thick striping. Now she is fawn with what looks like a grey/blue hood (although that might be just because of her age).

Here is was when I first got her:

A while later:

And now, almost a year later:

She turned a year old last month. I feel bad for her because her sister died a few months ago and she's been alone since, but I didn't think it wise to get another mouse as a cagemate for her when she is in senior territory.

Old 06-22-2010, 06:18 PM
Top Dog

I will just leave what I sent you:

"And I do know about mice. I have bred and shown for years. And still, have yet to have a problem keeping my brindle mice down. And yours is the largest I've ever seen out of any, so it was a little more concerning. I'm in no way saying your a bad owner, I was just concerned about how large yours is."
Old 06-22-2010, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
All of your mice are just adorable!!

I have a color changing mouse as well! (I hope you don't mind me posting pictures. ) I was told by the breeder she was a fawn, but I was later informed by someone else that she was a brindle. Either way, she started off tan and then developed a black spot on her back, which then transformed into some thick striping. Now she is fawn with what looks like a grey/blue hood (although that might be just because of her age).

Here is was when I first got her:

A while later:

And now, almost a year later:

She turned a year old last month. I feel bad for her because her sister died a few months ago and she's been alone since, but I didn't think it wise to get another mouse as a cagemate for her when she is in senior territory.
She is beautiful! Pics are more than welcome. I love brindles.

Tiva is pet store brindle which makes her even more prone to being over weight. Also I find these brindles MUCH bigger than Tiva. So you can't compare her to well bred show mice. Her genetics are different. They are poor. And so she in on the heavier side.

Not one breeder or respectable member on the two mouse forums I frequent see anything wrong with Tiva's weight. A good friend of mine and breeder has a older brindle female who is bigger than Tiva. She also has a male brindle who is larger than Tiva.

And Tiva has been to the vet. And he (an awesome mouse vet) said that Tiva is perfectly normal.

So making it sound like my mouse is so uncommonly fat isn't right. If you do show mice you should know this. Honestly I didn't make this thread to talk about her weight. Because I know she is perfectly healthy and isn't going to get any bigger than this.

More overweight brindles

Brindle Albino
http://www.petrodents.com/pics/Genet...ndleAlbino.jpg

Probley same size.

Brindle mice image by marebear07 on Photobucket

http://tarotrats1.homestead.com/files/buba.JPG
And aunt to-
Grace
Old 06-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Resident fainting goat

I dont think miss tiva would appreciate this discussion lol a girls weight is a private matter!
Old 06-22-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fransheska101 View Post
I dont think miss tiva would appreciate this discussion lol a girls weight is a private matter!
I agree. I beleive she is gaining a complex lol.
And aunt to-
Grace
Old 06-23-2010, 03:18 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

She doesn't look that big to me to be honest. I have seen WAY fatter.

Interesting that you find the same thing with the tanks. I couldn't keep my mice in a cage, they would ALWAYS get out.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/