Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 06-12-2010, 04:54 PM
Top Dog

Well, this is what is happening. He has been so upbeat since thinking about having a cat around, so he talked to his landlord and his landlord will let him take the family cat there for a week or two on a trial basis to see how he does with a cat. His dad will not let him keep this cat, but he can "borrow" her. If he does ok with it, we will work on getting him his own permanent cat. He is just so excited to have a cat right away to play with and stuff. It sounds like his landlord is nice and will be willing to work out a deposit arrangement. She just needs to go over that part with her husband.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:00 PM
swimming upstream

that sounds great--animals can help us in so many ways.
Old 06-12-2010, 08:17 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxter'smybaby View Post
that sounds great--animals can help us in so many ways.
^^This. And it goes both ways. Especially when you see how absolutely disposable people see cats as, I think even more so than dogs.

Pam, he's not in Monmouth is he?
Old 06-12-2010, 08:40 PM
Top Dog

I don't know the joke there, but he's in Klamath Falls, OR

He has the cat over there with him now and he's so happy and went right to sleep with her.
His mom wasn't allowed to bring the cat earlier in the day until she had permission from the father, and it sounds like the mom would let him keep her but his dad says he wants the cat himself (or just doesn't want his son to have her). But at least he is getting some immediate affection. If he does ok, I will pay the 65 to the shelter directly for him to adopt a kitten he chooses. It will cover vacs, neuter, deworming. I'll help him figure out a pet deposit, and it sounds like his landlord will work with him on it. I'll help him find a good food at a reasonable price where he can get it.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:08 AM
Top Dog

Last night he called me just to talk about this cat. His mood was just a complete 180--his tone of voice, everything. He was happy that the kitty remembers him and was enjoying just having him there. He also invited one of the girls downstairs to come up to see the cat, so it's already helping there, too .
Old 06-14-2010, 08:34 PM
facetious.

That's really, really awesome, Pam
Old 06-14-2010, 08:42 PM
Top Dog

All you need for an ESA is a letter from a mental health professional stating that your are disabled and that you need the pet. The landlord can place limits on what that pet is if the pet isn't already with you, but I would think most landlords would consider a cat to be reasonable...especially if they allow them anyway. Also, you need to make a written request for a reasonable accommodation (I know there's an example of that at Service Dog Central). A pet resume helps, but since he doesn't yet have a cat it it's not necessary...but if he ever moves it's a good idea.

The sample letters on Bazelon and Service Dog Central (posted above) are GREAT examples.

Gavroche is/was an ESA, and I had a letter to allow him into my apartment before I moved. There was never an issue with it, and the complex was completely pet free (not even fish).

If he can get an ESA letter, then there will be no pet deposit.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:00 PM
Top Dog

Thanks! I will let him know that
Old 06-14-2010, 09:25 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
If he can get an ESA letter, then there will be no pet deposit.
You can tell him to reassure the landlord that he is still responsible for damage done, even without the deposit. We had a couple of landlords who were nervous about Strider even though they couldn't refuse him by law. After we pointed that out, they visibly relaxed. lol.

And Monmouth is a teeeny tiny little podunk town in western oregon that has a university, and I used to live there. To give you an idea, the students outvoted residents to finally lift prohibition less than 10 years ago.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
You can tell him to reassure the landlord that he is still responsible for damage done, even without the deposit. We had a couple of landlords who were nervous about Strider even though they couldn't refuse him by law. After we pointed that out, they visibly relaxed. lol.
Yes, excellent point!