Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 06-14-2010, 02:33 PM
feel the magic

And I couldn't control my dog???
That's TOTALLY laughable!!!
hahahahaha!

You know, not to toot my own horn because, yes, I made mistakes with Ella, but a LOT of people, in my position, would have given up on a dog like Ella.

She was over-the-top DA. But I still walked her. I still took her to training. I still worked her.
And I still loved her.
I loved her enough to accept her for who and what she was.

And, honestly, she loved me enough to keep trying to live even when the cancer started paining her so bad she could barely climb stairs.

THAT is why I will ALWAYS own a pit bull.

And THAT is why I refuse to listen to less-than-intelligent-more-judgemental people such as yourself, RawFedDogs.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:49 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
I'm curious, what evidence do you have to support your claim that she couldn't "control her first one"?
Because of several posts about her first one being over the top DA. Over the top DA is out of control.

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

http://dogfoodchat.com/forum/

"Unnatural diets predispose animals to unnatural outcomes"
Dr. Tom Lonsdale
Old 06-14-2010, 02:54 PM
Twin 2.0

Uh, no, it's not.

Your ignorance of the breed is showing, just stop now.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:58 PM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawFedDogs View Post
Because of several posts about her first one being over the top DA. Over the top DA is out of control.
Ummm not in a APBT it isnt.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 06-14-2010, 02:58 PM
Top Dog

@Becca, I can at least give you something useful. Mind, this is Great Dane not pitty but still a large and potentially dangerous issue. I have a similar situation, and it seems like for us, the answer is "it depends."

Cheza will guard her food and high value chewies from Lyra, but never us (I can stick my hand in her mouth and take something away, and she will always, without fail, "drop it." She also growls when Lyra gets too close to her to cuddle.

But only sometimes, in all cases.

She doesn't always growl with her food, just when she's hungrier than usual. She doesn't always growl with bully sticks, except when it's a brand spanking stinky new fresh one. She doesn't always growl at cuddles, she has moods where she welcomes them (strangely always in the same position, so it might just be a comfort thing because Lyra is heavy.)

Other than that they get along just fine. I take care never to leave a fresh-ish chew out when we aren't home. I pay some attention during feeding time (the first time it happened, Cheza actually bit Lyra on the chest and we've set down some rules since and now she just rumbles a bit) and the rest they just work out on their own.

Supervision and not setting them up to fail seemed to work well for us. Eliminating the guarding didn't work, period. I can call her off her food easily, but she continues when I allow her back. I could feed them in separate rooms, but there's no point if the reasoning is Cheza just being a grump. I make sure they each get their own new bully stick as well, and if Lyra tries to steal the one Cheza has, I just entice her with the new one and lay her down at more of a distance.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:16 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbecca View Post
Whoa.

So wait a minute.

In the, what, 1-2 hours from the time I posted the thread, to the time you replied with your advice, to now, I should get my healthy puppy to mess with my pretty sick foster dog, to test out your advice??
Yes and its not "testing out my advice", its following sound advice from years of experience of handling all breeds and all ages of dogs.

Quote:
Why don't you give me some time???
I'm not the one not giving you time. You asked how to handle the "situation" and I told you. Simple as that.

Quote:
And you know NOTHING about me, other than this one thread. What in the WORLD makes you think for one second that I am AFRAID of APBTs????
Because of statements you made about "over the top DA dogs" and "0 to 100 in one second" and the fact that normal puppy behavior from these puppies concern you enough to seek help.

Quote:
Where did I say that??? I wanted to possibly nip any issues, before they became BIGGER issues.
They are not "issues". They are normal dog/puppy behavior.

Quote:
No, YOU stick with whatever "more manageable" breed you suggest, and I'll stick to whatever breed I want to own. Got it?
Yep. BTW: I have 2 Great Danes and they can be much more of a handful than any APBT.

Quote:
Because it'll be a cold day in HELL before some stranger tells ME which breed I should own and which breed I should not own.
I'm not "some stranger". I'm someone with 15 years of animal training experience with all breeds and ages of dogs and other animals. You should try to learn from me instead of bitching because I don't say what you want to hear.

Quote:
What in the world. I swear to GOD some people think they know it ALL when really their brain is shoved so far up their OWN ASS, they really have no idea what they are talking about.
Oh, I do know what I'm talking about.

Quote:
I don't know everything, and I have a RIGHT to be cautious because my other girl was EXTREMELY DA, and I know that the breed is capable of becoming DA fast.
There you go, proving my point. THAT'S EXACTLY why I said you would be happeir with a gentler breed and why I said you are afraid of the pit bulls.

Quote:
And, so what, I shouldn't give owning more than one a chance because YOU seem to deem me afraid of them???
Yes, exactly. Now you're leaning.

Quote:
Would you rather me just sit around and not give a crap and let my two dogs do as they please???
When it comes to interaction between them, basically, yes. There are times you should intervene but, from your post, you haven't come close to that point yet. The less you intefere with their realtionship, the happier everyone will be, both human and dogs. People tend to want to impose people rules on dog relationships and that often causes conflict.

Quote:
You've got some nerve.
Thank you, I try. Now leave the puppies alone and let them be puppies.

http://www.skylarzack.com/rawfeeding.htm

http://dogfoodchat.com/forum/

"Unnatural diets predispose animals to unnatural outcomes"
Dr. Tom Lonsdale
Old 06-14-2010, 03:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Yep. BTW: I have 2 Great Danes and they can be much more of a handful than any APBT.
I laughed so hard at this I nearly peed myself.

I have two of the most off the wall, deranged Danes I've ever met (and I've met a lot), one of whom is deaf. I have no excuse for the other one, at all, she's just strange, but she's a massive handful, so rail on me for that all you want.

That statement right there that I quoted, is absolutely freaking ridiculous. If it IS correct, you've got more issues than Becca does, and you should be learning to look after your own dogs and quit policing her about hers.

I haven't met a lot of pitties, but I've met enough to know that a 9 month old female puppy was strong enough to pull me clean over - something my own dogs can't even do. Combine that with the predisposition for DA, and you have a little ball of muscle capable of immense destruction.

Size holds no barrier here, and it doesn't impress me when people think that because their dog is large they can throw around statements that disregard the build, attitude, and temperament of a smaller dog. APBT Vs. Dane? The Dane would lose, period.

Disclaimer; that isn't something I would even like to imagine.

Back on track, I'm pretty sure you're just here to stir the pot at this point. I hardly even post here and I'm aware of your reputation for doing so. Go play somewhere else and let the people that actually want to help this woman and offer useful advice get back to doing so.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:27 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawFedDogs View Post
I've owned 3 Great Danes, another family member currently has 2, if space wasn't an issue, I would GLADLY bring one into my home again.... That being said, I don't think I'd ever want to own an APBT... why? Because they are MUCH harder to handle than a Great Dane.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:29 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

RFD, have you ever actually read this? Particularly the first one.
http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t38570/

I honestly don't know how you are still posting here with the number of posts you have made that are passive-aggressive or just outright rude. You seem rather incapable of posting in a manner that is not insulting. There's another member here who was just approached about the fact that he comes off rude and insulting in his posts and he was quite receptive to the comment. Might be something to consider.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-14-2010, 04:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchild16 View Post
she managed ella better then you can manage your fingers
lol! So true!!!

Wow, just WOW! I have thought that you have offered good advice in the past albeit terribly abrasive advice, but good underneath all of the conceit. This however is just rude and WRONG!

Have you ever heard the saying NO QUESTION IS A SILLY QUESTION??? Yes, this behavior is normal puppy behavior, you know this, others may have known this, but nonone should be ridiculed over their breed choice for not knowing this when they are taking the time to learn. I am blown away at how tactless you can be. Becca is not afraid of APBTs she is trying to set up an environment where 2 can coexist easily. Someone who should not own such a powerful breed would be the person who did not want to learn as much as they could (even if the questions seemed elementary to others) to provide the best home possible.

And to say that danes are more to handle than APBTs??? Come on!!! You have Danes...Danes!! I don't even know what to say to this, a dane doesn't hold a candle to the drive and tenacity that APBTs have.