Don't forget about Greyhounds

furby

If anyone here is looking to adopt a dog I just wanted to mention just how wonderful retired racing greyhounds are as pets! They have the ability to steal your heart by looking a you with soulful eyes that are full of love and an understanding of it that a lot of people strive to have. There are thousands of greyhounds homeless right now. Thousands that may not live to see another season. Even with all of the rescues working contantly there are still so many of these wonderful animals that need a warm home to retire in. They are dubbed the "45 mile an hour couch potato!" Trust me, they will give you so much more then they ever ask for. We have two of these fabulous dogs and I couldn't imagine living a day without them! If I could I would take in more. If even one person considers adopting a greyhound after reading this then it was worth the time!

Zoom

Twin 2.0
I love the look of these dogs. Everytime I see one (especially a fawn) curled up on a pillow I'm reminded of a deer. And they 'feel' so calm too, if that makes sense. There's not the totally wound-up hyper vibe like the ones many labs and terriers give off.

taratippy

Furby couldnt of put it better myself. They are the most wonderful easy going dogs and give so much love back to you just for a comfy sofa to lay on and a couple of gentle walks a day.

Dreeza

just so you know, you did make a difference! (and so i forget his forum name...about his greyhound, nigel)

i really would like to adopt one...there is no way i can right now, but when i have my own house...then i can!

Y

yuckaduck

This website is in Canada as well, since I am Canadian. Will be 4 more years before I can even attempt to adopt one but they are great dogs. It is simply because they do not adopt to people with children under 6 years old. So Megan will hit that in 4 years and she is my youngest.

furby

Not all rescues have these rules about adopting to people with kids- try contacting GRA :) They might have the right dog for your family!

juliefurry

Rusty but Trusty
Greyhounds the 40 MPH couch potatoes :D . I heard they are really laid back and are good dogs. My husband's parents ALMOST adopted one and that's what the greyhound adoption agency called them the 40 MPH couch potato. I thought it was funny.

Y

yuckaduck

When I made the attempt to adopt one, they told me that they take their retirement very seriously. But they need to either have a fenced in yard or remain on a leash at all times. They can reach pretty high speeds, can't remember the exact speed she gave me, and theya re sight hounds so finding their way back home is not likely. I know nothing except what they told me. They also suggested that they are not good with other dogs or kids since they have no experience with them. I think that was a bit discouraging because I know several people with greyhounds and I mean greyhounds more than one, and they get along fine. I also know one couple that has little tiny kids and three greyhounds. No problems at all. Hard to know what to believe and who to listen too.

Old Dog

Ol'Dogger
Having worked with racing greyhounds it depends on the dogs. Some are more gamey than others and a 2 year old in diapers runninng across the yard maybe more than a male greyhound could stand or your neighbors little dog or cat ect. Some greyhound rescues do not screen well enough because not all are adoptable. And true they will run and not stop even to the point of injuring themselves. They know nothing. They are usually older dogs anywhere from 2-6 years old. Most are not housebroken. Yes they are laid back but if they fight its not pretty. So adopt only if you really love and understand the breed and thoruoughly understand where they are coming from.
They do make good pets but it takes along time to acclimate them to a home environment. Females make better pets than the males....just my experience.

Y

yuckaduck

I think for me and my lack of knowledge it is best to deal with what I have.

I have enough now too with Yukon and Storm.

Members online

No members online now.