Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Wild At Heart

I'm not sure if its just only paperwork, thats just what I've been told and what I've read. I mean, I'm sure they do more with it, but thats just what I've heard they've done. Dreeza may be able to help you with that one more.

And, yes I'm pretty sure PT's can do the hands on stuff that PTA's can do, they just prefer to have someone else there maybe? I'm not sure

Well, I DO want to do a lot of Canine Rehab its just a point of seeing how easy and stuff it is to find a good job actually doing it. If I can find a job doing Canine Rehab p/t then I would definitely get it, because from what I've read a lot of the PTA jobs I've looked at are p/t too. It just depends on whats available when I graduate and stuff.

Quote:
And Nikki, while we are grilling you...how does that work with the certificate, do you know? like, if you & I both get one, are we allowed to do the exact same things? Or do you have to work under someone else?
I'm not sure, but I would think that we could do the same things? Hmm, thats a good question. I know there are different courses you have to take, but thats mainly for separating the Vet/Vet Tech's and PT/PTA's.

I would think we would be doing the same thing because it doesn't look like their is "separate" fields in the Canine Rehab programs... Maybe not? I'm not sure!
Old 05-10-2010, 02:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
Can a PT do the hands on things the PTA usually does? What's the point in getting your PT if only to do paperwork? lol Or do most poeople get there PT then PTA?
Everything a PTA can do, a PT can do. PTA's basically are able to make the services cheaper. Kinda like a tech/assistant/nurse to a doctor. Like, a doctor is perfectly capable of taking blood pressure & weight, but it would be very cost ineffective to do that.

A PT does the initial evaluation & makes the diagnosis & then designs the exercise program. They also do things like manipulations & mobilizations (I think PTAs in some states can get certified to do mobs, but I'm not sure about that...and it still has to be in the presence of a PT with instruction from them what to do).

After the PT has gone through all the exercises w/the patient & insured that they are all correct & the patient is doing them right, the PTA will then take over for the next few sessions. The PT then will check up after X amount of visits to change up the program & progress the patient. A good PTA will usually be able to suggest new exercises, etc...but the PT must approve everything.

Also, it is all totally up to the PT...what I have posted has been my experience with the PT I worked with. Someone in my class though worked with a PT who chose to work completely by himself...so he was 1 on 1 with the patient for the entire session. It just kinda depends on if you want high or low volume.

Quote:
Dreeza, how will getting a doctorate in PT be different than a bachelors degree?
Well, you can't get a bachelors in PT, lol. That was a looong time ago that that was available.

Our goal as PTs is to become primary care practitioners. This would mean, if you were having back pain, rather than go to the Emergency room (a HUGE percentage if E-room pts is musculoskeletal...and doctors really aren't able to provide the best care anyways, plus, it clogs up the E-room...), you could walk off the street & into a PT office for an evaluation (right now you can do that in some states, but it won;t be covered). Anyways, we need our doctorate to be able to do this cause we have to be able to KNOW it is a musculoskeletal problem & not something else that is masking itself as pain (i.e. kidney disease can present as low back pain)...cause when that is the case, we would refer you back to a physician. Hope that makes sense, haha. Also, more & more people have co-morbidities & are on like 10 different prescriptions, so it is really important for us to understand the affect that that all has on the treatment plan we can make for them.

Thanks Jessie!

Old 05-10-2010, 02:31 PM
Wild At Heart

*face palm*

I didn't mean to tell you Bachelors earlier, sorry. I was thinking of a Athletic Trainer degree (which is what I originally going for before I changed), thats a Bachelors degree, but the PT isn't. Thanks for clearing that up, Dreeza!

Sorry for the confusion!!

Harleigh <3
Old 05-10-2010, 03:50 PM
Water Junkie

Hehe, it's okay! Thanks for clearing that up.

What is involved, schooling wise, for a PTA or PT? I quickly googled it and one website said alot of science is involved?

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 05-10-2010, 04:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Hehe, it's okay! Thanks for clearing that up.

What is involved, schooling wise, for a PTA or PT? I quickly googled it and one website said alot of science is involved?
well, for PT school, your major doesn't matter...but a bunch of science classes are required...

typically 2 yrs of chem & bio, psych, some math (not all require calc though), and then other random courses. Oh, anatomy & physiology as well.

Every school is different though. When I was applying, I ruled out schools that required calculus, cause I would not have been able to take it & graduate on time (plus, i didnt really wanna, hahaha). Sooo, that is kinda annoying & frustrating.

Also, you have to have a certain number of hours shadowing a PT...that also varies though. The best place to find out the requirements is the specific school's website

Thanks Jessie!

Old 05-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Water Junkie

Thanks! Do you know if the same is required for a PTA major?

Also, I was looking online at the typical pay for PTA/PT and a LPTA came up. It paid a fair amount more than just a PTA. Whats the difference?

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l