More/better rattie pics

Taqroy

Picture of the current setup

So you can see the corner hammock (that they don't use lol)

Mmmm.....cheerios

This is my favorite

Chewbecca

feel the magic
OHMYGOD.
Gimme them.

They are TOOO CUTE!

If they don't use their hammock, what do they sleep in?

I'm all trying to find out what size cat carrier I need to get for when I have to pick up my rats.

I'm also checking out towels on line to try and get some prices on what I'll need.
I'm still waiting to hear back from the breeder!!:D

They are ADORABLE!!!

How old are they again?

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
So cute! and great set-up, its so cool that they go in the litterbox!

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Aww I must have missed that you got them! They are gorgeous. I want more ratties lol.

Taqroy

Thanks guys! Chewbecca - They like to use the double hammock, just not the single one back in the corner. They had an igloo but they insisted on marking ALL the way around the inside of it and when I took it out to switch the liners they piled into the hammock so I haven't put it back yet. I ended up buying this to bring them home in cause the breeder said the cat carrier would be too big and they shouldn't have that much room to move around. Also if you get babies they'll be able to escape through the front door. So far I have not seen them using their wheel. They get in it and move it around a little bit but no real running so far lol. I just switched the cage around today and moved the shelf higher up so the wheel fits better. I don't know if I like it this way though. I wish all the stuff in my cage matched but I went all out buying the critter nation so I figured I can wait to buy matching decor lol.

Chewbecca

feel the magic
Really???
I'm wondering if I shouldn't just make my own **** travel cage!
It'd be cheaper, and I could make it the size I want it.
The only problem is, the ventilation.

Anyway,
How did you KNOW what kind of hammock to get your boys?

Some of these rat hangy thing makers have come with 838494 different kinds of hammocks, and I don't know WHAT to get.
Especially since I'll essentially be setting up two different floors because I'll have a double CN.

Taqroy

It'd be a lot easier to just make your own. I had already bought the cat carrier and got kind of irritated when the breeder told me it wouldn't work but wouldn't give me any direction on what would work. Foxy recommended that one for me and it worked out great. Maybe I'll just get a cat to go with my cat carrier. :p

I looked at Goosemoose and ratforums.com for ideas on how to set up my cage. Then I looked for tutorials on how to make hammocks and stuff cause I had a ton of fleece left over from a different project. The regular hammocks and corner hammocks are really really easy to make if you have any sewing experience. The double stacked one was kind of difficult but there also weren't very good pictures. I would say just make/buy a couple and see if they even use them before you go all out. Just make sure you have igloos or some kinda hidey hole on the ground for them too. We were using a milk jug with a hole cut in it but Sprocket kept tipping it over cause he's enormous lol. There's a CN pic thread on one of those two forums, I don't remember which and there are some AWESOME setups in it.

Chewbecca

feel the magic
oh god, I know. I've been perusing the CN thread on there for FOREVER. That thread is what helped me decide to get a Double CN.
PLUS, if I decide I want more rats (more boys, of course), and intros don't go well after quarantine, then I can just shut off one of the halves and keep one set of rats up top and the other on the bottom.:D

I have already made a friend on goosemoose who has been guiding through breeders and various other things to help me get "in the know". She makes hammocks, liners, and various other things and we're going to do a trade (dog stuff for rat stuff) once I get my cage.:D
I also find out that half the hardware we have on hand would be GREAT for hanging toys and stuff. I have quicklinks, O-Rings, and double headed bolt snaps. I am also going to have to call my rope supplier today and ask what exactly Multi-filament polypropylene consists of. Because if it's just plastic, then I'm going to make hangy toys out of rope scraps I have, and I'll braid some pieces to hang in their cage so they can walk on them.:D

Taqroy

So cute! and great set-up, its so cool that they go in the litterbox!
Haha....mostly they go in the litterbox. They were awesome about it for the first couple days and then they started trying to figure out who's the boss. I'm not sure if its related to that but it started happening around the same time. I'm assuming the poll results aren't in yet so they're still pooping in random spots (but mostly in the litterbox).

awwww! They're so cute! I really like the dark one!
Cogs (the blackish one) is kind of creepy actually....lol. If you reach in the cage and try to do anything he gets this super freaked out look...and I've never had rats so I'm having a hard time reading his body language and you can't tell where they're looking EVER! Lol. He hasn't bit anybody (ok maybe a little but I'm pretty sure he thought I was a cheerio) so I'm thinking he just needs more time to get used to us.

Chewbecca

feel the magic
Do you handle them daily?
I wondered about how I should go about handling mine when I first bring them home.
I was told to give them a few hours to settle in, but that I should try handling them shortly afterward because they should be social.
And since you got your guys from a good breeder, they should be social, too.
I know that doesn't mean they're going to wave "hi" to you and then jump on your hand, but do you stick your hand in their cage and have them come sniff you?

See, I don't have rats, so I don't know. I know I let my mice sniff me and come up to my hand before I grab them (usually).

Southpaw

orange iguanas.
Do you handle them daily?
I wondered about how I should go about handling mine when I first bring them home.
I was told to give them a few hours to settle in, but that I should try handling them shortly afterward because they should be social.
And since you got your guys from a good breeder, they should be social, too.
I know that doesn't mean they're going to wave "hi" to you and then jump on your hand, but do you stick your hand in their cage and have them come sniff you?

See, I don't have rats, so I don't know. I know I let my mice sniff me and come up to my hand before I grab them (usually).
I think this all depends on how social the rats are. My girls were very well socialized before I got them, handled daily... and so when I brought them home, despite being in a new environment, they were completely comfortable running up to me and checking me out, and so I've always just went and picked them up when I want to take them out. My first rats were from a pet store and so they were much more timid, so for a few days I took things very slowly--I would just sit next to the cage and hold my hand in there, giving them the opportunity to come sniff me if they wanted. I'd put food in my hand to entice them and to make them comfortable, or I'd put yogurt on my finger so they were "forced" to stay by my hand while they ate, they couldn't just grab it and run off. So I never just went and grabbed them, I'd let them sniff me first until they become more comfortable with me.

That's just me thuogh, don't think there's a right or wrong answer to this one :)

Members online