Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 04-26-2010, 11:38 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Can't do that with Summer yet though.

Primal has theirs written as 12% fat (min)

ETA: By the way it's actually packaged for raw feeders. It has kelp, etc in it, not just meat. I was wrong it is made through a local dog training and boarding facility, not a butcher.
Every dog food out there has their fat content at a minimum because some fat has to be in there, but a minimum percentage leaves it wide open for the manufacturer to add in as much fat as they want. Since mainstream foods wouldn't sell if they caused a lot of dogs to get sick, they probably do have approximately as much fat in the food as they state. But when a local butcher packs their ground together, that is not their main source of revenue and just their way to recoup costs with their scraps. My guess that they just don't have the feedback they need to know not to put so much fat in, although I'm sure there are butchers out there that have had enough feed back and they regulate their "raw product" a bit more.

"Unnatural diets predispose animals to unnatural outcomes"
Dr. Tom Lonsdale

http://www.dogfoodchat.com/forum/

ProperCarnivoreNutrition
Old 04-26-2010, 12:26 PM
woop

Ahh sadly I stopped taking pictures of Pit eating long ago. Turns out he isn't a fan. So old pics it is!

Enjoying a nice big salmon.

Some unidentified pig part.. possibly a leg?

Chicken bits!

Yumm
Old 04-26-2010, 12:37 PM
Very Food Agressive

AWWWW Baby Pit!! <3

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:44 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyDane View Post
Every dog food out there has their fat content at a minimum because some fat has to be in there, but a minimum percentage leaves it wide open for the manufacturer to add in as much fat as they want. Since mainstream foods wouldn't sell if they caused a lot of dogs to get sick, they probably do have approximately as much fat in the food as they state. But when a local butcher packs their ground together, that is not their main source of revenue and just their way to recoup costs with their scraps. My guess that they just don't have the feedback they need to know not to put so much fat in, although I'm sure there are butchers out there that have had enough feed back and they regulate their "raw product" a bit more.
I'm going to try it. The local person that sells it to the feed store is involved in Schutzhund and SAR work with his dogs. Apparently it's been sold a while locally. I'm not going to treat it as a complete diet though, just a supplement.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:51 PM
woop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyDane View Post
Since we go through ~8-10 pounds of food per day in our house, it doesn't take long to make more room for more meats. Heck, our last "haul" from our CL ad got us close to 400 pounds of various meat sources for only $100
I'm dying to know what you said in your CL ad to land a deal like that! Is that all meat from random strangers, or are butchers, markets or hunters etc contacting you mostly on there?
Old 04-26-2010, 12:54 PM
Very Food Agressive

People ask for organs from game since most hunters don't use them and also freezerburned meat.

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 04-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I'm going to try it. The local person that sells it to the feed store is involved in Schutzhund and SAR work with his dogs. Apparently it's been sold a while locally. I'm not going to treat it as a complete diet though, just a supplement.
Yeah definitely try it. No harm in seeing what it's like especially when it's a lot cheaper than primal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skKi View Post
I'm dying to know what you said in your CL ad to land a deal like that! Is that all meat from random strangers, or are butchers, markets or hunters etc contacting you mostly on there?

This is the ad that we use:

We are looking for any unwanted meat that people are tossing. Our dogs eat a raw diet and any unwanted meat should not be thrown away!

Please email me if you have anything, we are willing to buy this from you for up to $0.75 per pound depending on what it is. If its game meat (elk, etc) we would be happy to pay more than that, but email for details.

Thanks in advance!!!

We only have gotten response from private parties and not businesses or butchers. You are more than welcome to use this ad if you'd like if you're not in the state of CO LOL

"Unnatural diets predispose animals to unnatural outcomes"
Dr. Tom Lonsdale

http://www.dogfoodchat.com/forum/

ProperCarnivoreNutrition
Old 04-26-2010, 02:37 PM
Wild At Heart

The only reason I would use Oma's Pride (which is what I had looked at yesterday) it to get different meat/protein sources. I haven't been able to find anything but mostly Chicken, Pork, Beef and Lamb. I wanted to get some more "exotic" stuff for to try, just to keep it spiced up! lol

I've still got to go by the Ethnic markets here in town, but if not that'll probably where I get them from. I mostly buy from Publix and Walmart though! lol

I LOVE all the photos!! Thanks for sharing The organization is just awesome, I wish I could be that organized. The closest I get is labeling all the Ziplocs/Containers and then the bags I stuff them in!

Keep the photos and stuff coming!

Harleigh <3
Old 04-26-2010, 03:05 PM
Wookie Collie

Adding a pic of Finn's basket in the freezer.

It's a bit barren as there hasn't been many sales on good snack meats lately, except for those turkey necks in the front. I scored those for 70 cents a pound at the market today. Woo! I only stuck them in the pic for pic's sake - they're in the fridge until I can cut them up, then back in the freezer.

Behind the turkey necks is a bag of mixed chicken necks, gizzards and hearts that was on sale (freezerburned) at my local pet supply shop. The stuff you can't see is a small pack of chicken wings, some beef liver and like... one pork neck.

I'm keeping an eye on sales in the next few weeks! Oh, and a question, does anyone feed oxtail?

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 04-26-2010, 06:14 PM
<----Thanks Allie

Muffin is not a fan of getting his picture taken while eating... so...

Wash says, "iz my chickenz?"

"ohhhh, nommy chickenz"