Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 04-26-2010, 10:21 AM
<----Thanks Allie

WHOA! nice set up BabyDane! I'm jealous! I can't wait till I have the space to get my own freezer!

As it is, I found a "mom and pop" place that sells ground raw for dogs as well as RMBs. Although I like the bones whole for teeth cleaning, it's what works best for us ATM... so their raw meals really just look like canned dog food unless they're getting chicken.

I have a few pics of them eating chicken I can probably post tonight... Maybe I'll take a picture of the ground stuff too.

Last edited by xpaeanx; 04-26-2010 at 11:14 AM. Reason: I can spell... I swear I can...
Old 04-26-2010, 10:56 AM
The Littlest Hound

I'm jealous of the organization in your and your friends' freezers... the dogs have their own small-ish upright freezer, but everything is thrown in willy-nilly in ziploc freezer bags, lol. And there's a whole turkey in the human food freezer...

Daisy looks completely ridiculous trying to grab her food with her paws - her neck is kind of long, and her legs are quite unfortunately short

Not entirely sure what was going on here... lol. For anyone who takes notice of Daisy, yes, these were taken years ago before her entire face went white

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CH CCH CA 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage OFA Hips: Good

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug (5/2004 - 3/2014)
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 04-26-2010, 11:08 AM
Wookie Collie

I only have a few pics of puppy Finn eating a lamb shank bone. I don't feed these anymore, usually turkey necks and chicken backs once a week, though now that I've found an asian grocery that sells necks, backs, shoulders and such for cheapo, I'll probably supplement raw more often, especially since Finn's on a medium-quality kibble right now as opposed to high-quality.

Anyway. Puppy Finn nomming his first raw.

Usually he gets fed his raw in his crate, but I'll try and get some pics this week.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 04-26-2010, 11:33 AM
I'm All Ears

Right now, I'm buying some premade ground stuff that is sold through a local butchers (just found out about it). It comes in tubes and actually has pretty similar ingredients to primal although it's 90% meat whereas primal was only 60%. It's less convenient but MUCH cheaper. Mia also gets wings and drumsticks and just regular chopped meat, liver, hearts, kidney, etc. On occasion they get cottage cheese and egg but to be honest I don't think they like egg much. Going to try sardines or fish soon.

Summer is a work in progress. lol It's coming. Right now for her, it's pretty much all premade at this point.

I have no pictures because I have no camera.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:01 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL View Post
Can I ask why people would buy Primal brand stuff that they could get in the grocery store for a lot less $$? If you have a small dog, a small package of pork necks or wings or thighs is cheap. With my dogs I buy by the case. Last week I bought a case of leg quarters, a case of whole chickens, and a case of pork shoulders. Things I don't use as much of- liver, fish, etc, I buy at the grocery store.

It really doesn't take that much space, you don't need a setup like baby Dane has, especially for a single dog or a couple small dogs.
Just wanted to add that folks can check out ethnic grocery stores for more luck in finding the various cuts that work best for dogs. I can't find anything in my main grocery store except for chicken wings, but I can find TONS of other types, like turkey and chicken necks, chicken backs, pork necks, etc at the local Asian grocery. Definitely shop around a bit and you can probably find some great deals.

The pre-packaged stuff is convenient, but is often overpriced. I used to get my chicken backs from the pet store, and I was paying TWICE as much as getting them at the grocery store.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 04-26-2010, 12:03 PM
Big Dog

Be careful with the premade stuff from butchers. A lot of those types of places put a LOT of fat in them to bulk it up since they primarily use scraps for those products. Unless they have a complete analysis like the ones that primal has I wouldn't consider feeding it. It will probably say what's in it but not at what quantities. I have had several people buy them and their dogs get serious cannon butt from it. Just a thought to consider

ETA: I think a lot of people use the pre made stuff because it is convenient and their dogs will happily eat it unlike RMB's. I think the premade stuff has flavorings added in to make it more palatable. And if people don't mind paying the higher cost to them I see no issue with it. I just think it's funny when I see just three prepackaged turkey necks for $8, when I get the exact same type of turkey necks for $.60 per pound.

"Unnatural diets predispose animals to unnatural outcomes"
Dr. Tom Lonsdale

http://www.dogfoodchat.com/forum/

ProperCarnivoreNutrition
Old 04-26-2010, 12:05 PM
I'm All Ears

This new ground stuff is over $1.40 cheaper per pound than primal at the smallest size. The big size is even cheaper. I'm going to look around for an asian market, I found a couple mexican meat markets to check out. I would think there is an asian market here with so many international students.

I found one. I'm totally checking it out this week.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:07 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyDane View Post
Be careful with the premade stuff from butchers. A lot of those types of places put a LOT of fat in them to bulk it up since they primarily use scraps for those products. Unless they have a complete analysis like the ones that primal has I wouldn't consider feeding it. It will probably say what's in it but not at what quantities. I have had several people buy them and their dogs get serious cannon butt from it. Just a thought to consider
Hmm good to know. There's an analysis similar to primal stating the fat is 8% (min). It's just primal is so darn expensive! It's like $4 a lb.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:14 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Hmm good to know. There's an analysis similar to primal stating the fat is 8% (min). It's just primal is so darn expensive! It's like $4 a lb.
But it's right there in writing on the package that the fat content is 8% MINIMUM, so there is probably a LOT more fat than 8% because far is not really sellable to a butcher (unless he prepackages it up for raw feeders LOL). Fat is what is useful to dogs since that is where they get their energy from but too much fat is upsetting to a dog and they can actually get pancreatitis from it.

What you could do is feed it sparingly along side a heavy bone content meal to balance it out.

"Unnatural diets predispose animals to unnatural outcomes"
Dr. Tom Lonsdale

http://www.dogfoodchat.com/forum/

ProperCarnivoreNutrition
Old 04-26-2010, 12:23 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyDane View Post
But it's right there in writing on the package that the fat content is 8% MINIMUM, so there is probably a LOT more fat than 8% because far is not really sellable to a butcher (unless he prepackages it up for raw feeders LOL). Fat is what is useful to dogs since that is where they get their energy from but too much fat is upsetting to a dog and they can actually get pancreatitis from it.

What you could do is feed it sparingly along side a heavy bone content meal to balance it out.
Can't do that with Summer yet though.

Primal has theirs written as 12% fat (min)

ETA: By the way it's actually packaged for raw feeders. It has kelp, etc in it, not just meat. I was wrong it is made through a local dog training and boarding facility, not a butcher. It's sold through the local feed store. The only differences I've noticed from it and the primal is a) price, it's not cut up in nuggets, and it has a higher meat content, lower veggie content.