Responsible selling of puppies

January

Never expect to make money because it will not happen!

1] All puppies should be vet checked a minimum of three times before leaving.
2] All puppies should at least have the first vaccines, mine have one and two done.
3] Puppies should be at least 8 weeks old before leaving no exceptions, mine are 12 weeks.
4] Puppies should be spay or neutered before leaving, or at the very least sold with a contract and the contract should be verified and if not fulfilled then the puppy should be removed.
5] Puppies should be tatooed or microchipped before leaving and registered before leaving.
6] Puppies should come with a guarantee of a minimum of 2 years, mine are 5 years
7] Puppies should be well socialized to children, other pets and daily house hold things
8] Puppies should be well started in their house training, should be crate trained
9] Puppies should be temperment tested and the paperwork should be provided.
10] Puppies should be loved by the breeder and the utmost concern should be given to selling them, many questions should be asked and home visits when ever possible. If that means the breeder hops on a plane to go check the place out then do it, I do.

These are just off the top of my head when I think of more I will add htem but other breeders here can add to them too.

bubbatd

I did all except the micro chipping....we didn't have that then !

Mordy

Quigleyfied
BigDog2191 said:
I personally don't like the micro chip or even the tatooing... but besides that, the list looks great.
why not?

it's often the only proof of ownership and sorely needed to return animals to their rightful owner if they were stolen, ran away or got lost otherwise.

don't you want to maximize the chance to get your dog back if you ever lose it or if there's a dispute about who owns it?

would you rather your dog be held at a shelter until someone can get a hold of you to tell you they have your dog, even if it takes a week or two? here in L.A. the shelters only have a mandatory holding period of three business days for dogs picked up without any kind of ID. if the shelter is full and needs to take in more animals, those are the first ones to be euthanized to make room. :(

bridey_01

Kelpiefied
Reputable breeders will offer to take the pup back at anytime during it's life. My breeder recently got a five year old collie back, she would rather know the animal she bred was safe and cared for, even if the owners were idiots.

Fran27

Mordy said:
why not?

it's often the only proof of ownership and sorely needed to return animals to their rightful owner if they were stolen, ran away or got lost otherwise.

don't you want to maximize the chance to get your dog back if you ever lose it or if there's a dispute about who owns it?

would you rather your dog be held at a shelter until someone can get a hold of you to tell you they have your dog, even if it takes a week or two? here in L.A. the shelters only have a mandatory holding period of three business days for dogs picked up without any kind of ID. if the shelter is full and needs to take in more animals, those are the first ones to be euthanized to make room. :(
Exactly.

Y

yuckaduck

bridey_01 said:
Reputable breeders will offer to take the pup back at anytime during it's life. My breeder recently got a five year old collie back, she would rather know the animal she bred was safe and cared for, even if the owners were idiots.

I know January takes her pups back that is how she ended up with Molly again. The people who got her used her for SAR and then they move to other things so they returned Molly. Otherwise there would be no puppers right now because she would only have Tommy. I do not think Molly will ever leave January though. She is spaying after these puppies because it is her 6 litter and January says time to be a dog. She is keeping her as a pet though, not re homing her.

M

Manchesters

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!! Mine go to the vet one time to get their health certification. The vet's office is plague city to baby puppies. No need for a puppy to go at all.

2] All puppies should at least have the first vaccines, mine have one and two done.

Same here. I give my own shots.

3] Puppies should be at least 8 weeks old before leaving no exceptions, mine are 12 weeks.

Agreed.......12 weeks for mine.

4] Puppies should be spay or neutered before leaving, or at the very least sold with a contract and the contract should be verified and if not fulfilled then the puppy should be removed.

Huh???? Spay a 12 week old puppy? Yeah, right, lol. All you have to do is withhold the papers until pup is neutered. Of course as far as breeding there was no problem, since I was about the only one in the surrounding 4 states that had Toy Manchesters, rofl.

5] Puppies should be tatooed or microchipped before leaving and registered before leaving.

Tatooes blurr and fade......not reliable. Microchipping a 3/4 pound puppy is not easy. The owner can get them chipped when the pup hits about 4 months.

6] Puppies should come with a guarantee of a minimum of 2 years, mine are 5 years

Mine had a lifetime guarantee, and a lifetime that I got buy back rights if pup was getting got rid of.

7] Puppies should be well socialized to children, other pets and daily house hold things

Thank God I had no kids around here. I would not sell to anyone with kids, so this was not a problem. I made the mistake of selling a Dobe pup or two to people with kids. Pups ended up dead within two months. NO WAY!!!!!!!

8] Puppies should be well started in their house training, should be crate trained

Mine went with a crate as part of the equipment. (And I only got $300 for the few pets I sold)

I created the temperament and behavior in my pups. They all had sterling personalities and temperaments.

10] Puppies should be loved by the breeder and the utmost concern should be given to selling them, many questions should be asked and home visits when ever possible. If that means the breeder hops on a plane to go check the place out then do it, I do.

Well, since I always had people waiting on pups before I even bred, this was no problem. One super, super sweet lady from Mobile had to wait about 1 1/2 years for a pup, bless her heart.

Once upon a time I had an "ooopppssss" litter of Whippets. There were, of course 12 puppies. If it had been a planned breeding, the b!tch would not have taken, lol. I had 6 of those pups for 13 years now. I just lost Bubbles a month or so ago.

So, I guess I was an exellent, outstanding breeder. Oh.......and you forgot one very important thing-----the only reason for having puppies in the first place is in an effort to improve upon the breed, or to improve upon the dogs you have for showing and breeding.

Y

yuckaduck

They are spaying and neutering at 8 weeks now. At least in Ottawa at the spay neuter clinic they do it that you and apparently they use laser techinques. All monkey talk to me did not know until we start looking at neutering Yuck when he was 4 months. Most vets said no way, but we did go to the clinic and they told me they do it as early as 8 weeks and it is actually easier than waiting. Do not know I am not a vet.

January

bridey_01 said:

Very true forgot that one.

11]Contract that no matter what reason or what age all puppies that are not kept are to be returned to the original breeder.

I do follow that just forgot to mention. That is how I got Molly back they returned her because they moved out of the SAR business and into police work.

January

yuckaduck said:
They are spaying and neutering at 8 weeks now. At least in Ottawa at the spay neuter clinic they do it that you and apparently they use laser techinques. All monkey talk to me did not know until we start looking at neutering Yuck when he was 4 months. Most vets said no way, but we did go to the clinic and they told me they do it as early as 8 weeks and it is actually easier than waiting. Do not know I am not a vet.

All of my males are neutered before they leave. My females are sold on contract with limited registration and I do check to make sure it is done. I have brought home an 8 month old pregnant bitch before because the owners refused to spay even after signing the contract. Pregnancy was terminated and the dog was spayed and rehomed elsewhere. We do our best to try and find a perfect home but sometimes it does not happen. I have stopped breeding now, what I have is it.

BigDog2191

Big German Shepherd
Mordy said:
why not?

Because I don't like the thought of of branding my dog or sticking my baby puppy with a microchip. I just don't.

I think a more simplistic, dare I say humane, way of identifying a dog is doing something quite simple- tags.

Fran27

I don't trust tags. They can get lost, and mostly they can just be removed. So if someone steals your dog, you won't have any proof that it's yours.

Boxer*Mom

It wasn't me
The microchip is the size of a grain of rice and is encased in a biocompatible glass, the same used in human pacemakers, to prevent rejection from the animals body.

In dogs, the microchip is inserted into the loose skin on the back of the dog's neck using a specially designed implanting device. Insertion is a quick and easy process that causes no more discomfort than a usual vaccination.

Tags come off real easy, most folks only get a tag when the rabies shot is due, which now is every 3 years. Losing a tag is too easy. Although if it does stay on it would help relocating the dog with the rightful owner.

M

Manchesters

Yeah, right.......

BigDog2191 said:
Because I don't like the thought of of branding my dog or sticking my baby puppy with a microchip. I just don't.

I think a more simplistic, dare I say humane, way of identifying a dog is doing something quite simple- tags.
Real simple. Like dogs shouldn't be wearing a collar unless they are going out off the property with their owner. OTHERWISE the collar can get hung up on a car bumper, or anything else that protrudes out and the dog can get hung and choke to death.

Mordy

Quigleyfied
BigDog2191 said:

i agree that chipping is a better, more permanent and reliable method of ID than tatooing, but it's not any worse than giving the dog a vaccination, so it also involves a lot less pain.

tags can be removed or get lost, a microchip can't.

i find it is a more humane thing if a dog can be identified at any time and returned to the rightful owner instead of possibly being euthanized rather than avoiding a second or two of discomfort when the chip is injected.

g00ber

Dirty Dawg...
I agree that microchipping is a great thing. You may think that a collar and tag is more humane BigDog2191 but I have actually found that the pups that I have had are actually more annoyed by having a collar on for the first time than they are by having a microchip inserted.

BigDog2191 said:

No tags, none of my dogs wear tags with their name and my number on, because people steal dogs here and call you and demand huge sums of money for the return, so the pet back protect scheme was invented, the dogs wears a tag with a free phone no on it, if a dog is found the finders call the number and pass on their info to the company, the company then calls the owner and tells them where their dog is, then the owner can go and pick up the dog, its quite expensive but worth it, all my dogs are also microchipped and dna tested. Also if you show your dog you cant leave the collar on (because it marks the fur) so a microchip is the only proof you have that the dog is yours!

Once is enough
Here that is not possiable because the first is given at nine weeks and then two weeks later
Puppys should go to their new homes as soon as poss (after 8 weeks) because it is harder for them to settle the older they are
Agreed providing they are sold as pets and we arnt talking about show dogs
Microchip not possable in the smaller breeds they need to be a bit bigger first
I do a year, as I cannot take responsability for incorrect care etc.
Of corse, also you need to make sure your pups are well socialized with different kinds of people, Eg, men women, elderly people, and different size dogs
Here in the UK crtae training is not widely done
Agree
Yep i ask loads of questions, its the only way to having peice of mind

Members online

No members online now.