Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 03-29-2010, 03:40 PM
Top Dog

lol every single corgi I have ever met has been reactive. ::shrug::
Old 03-29-2010, 04:03 PM
Just try me..

Lil.. I feel you pain.

That said I don't think you should give up agility, but perhaps change the focus. Agility lessons are places where you can see lots of other dogs in a controlled environment. If there is a dog who sets him off stay far away, but reward for calm looking.

I can't stress how much that has helped Dekka. Dekka managed to sit right beside the ring (Like with in a foot of the fencing) on my lap (so there was no fencing between her and the dogs) and calmly watch all but the most frenzied of BCs do agility. Even with the finish obstacle being right in front of us!! (for the frenzied BC I put her on the ground and asked for eye contact)

This is something we couldn't have done 3 months ago when I started the watch/click routine. She walked near other dogs, and didn't snark even if they were close and looked at her! (she hates it when dogs focus their attention on her)

Dekka redirects to other dogs, thankfully never ever to humans. The good news is once you get a handle on the DR issues then the redirection problem also reduces.
Old 03-29-2010, 04:17 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criosphynx View Post
lol every single corgi I have ever met has been reactive. ::shrug::
Wow.

I don't even wanna know where you guys are seeing your corgis.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 03-29-2010, 04:34 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
Wow.

I don't even wanna know where you guys are seeing your corgis.
My experience is that corgis are, I wouldn't say "reactive", but snippy. Pems and Cardis in different ways. The fact that one dog growled at Docket and another lunged at him during the meeting was pretty much par for the course for a gathering of 30+ cardis. That's why Docket growling back didn't bother me at all . . . I consider growling back if another dog growls at you to be normal Cargi behavior. If it was a bunch of Pems, I would not have been surprised to see more snarking, but less in the way of serious "back off" warnings.

They shouldn't be reactive (and they sure as hell shouldn't do what Docket is doing), but they should be . . . I don't know . . . willing to make their displeasure known.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com
Old 03-29-2010, 04:41 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilavati View Post
My experience is that corgis are, I wouldn't say "reactive", but snippy. Pems and Cardis in different ways. The fact that one dog growled at Docket and another lunged at him during the meeting was pretty much par for the course for a gathering of 30+ cardis. That's why Docket growling back didn't bother me at all . . . I consider growling back if another dog growls at you to be normal Cargi behavior. If it was a bunch of Pems, I would not have been surprised to see more snarking, but less in the way of serious "back off" warnings.

They shouldn't be reactive (and they sure as hell shouldn't do what Docket is doing), but they should be . . . I don't know . . . willing to make their displeasure known.
Yes.

Snippy I could agree with. Growling back, IMO, is fine...although the growl that triggered it might not be.

But reactive? Not IME and not at all what the breed should be. But they definitely demand to be respected.

Anyway...sorry to hijack your thread...back to Docket. And BTW, have we had recent pics of him??

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 03-29-2010, 05:16 PM
Arbitrary and Capricious

Quote:
Originally Posted by corgipower View Post
Yes.

Snippy I could agree with. Growling back, IMO, is fine...although the growl that triggered it might not be.

But reactive? Not IME and not at all what the breed should be. But they definitely demand to be respected.

Anyway...sorry to hijack your thread...back to Docket. And BTW, have we had recent pics of him??
I think I posted some from the snowstorm . . . here's a link to those . . . Porter Wiseman***039;s Photos - Snowmageddon and Snowpocalypse | Facebook

But none in the past month or so.

The Court's extensive review of these pages serves as a useful reminder that loaded guns, sharp objects and law degrees should be kept out of the reach of children.

-- United States Magistrate Judge Paul Cleary

Laughing Shadows Bead & Design: http://www.laughingshadows.com