Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 01-13-2005, 10:58 AM
Active Pup

Default Potty Training My Saint

Ok, Saja. I have read the crate training website and appear to be very helpful. Another question, how about if my st. doesn't finish her food, do I let her finish it or take it away after going to the bathroom? And do I let her keep water all day or limit her to only during the breaks from the crate? If anyone has input I am open to suggestions. Her crate is in the garage and during the evening she comes in the house to play w/family. I am attempting to train her to live in home and be outside during the daytime. I have a big fenced in backyard for her to run and play. Thanks All

Last edited by stbernard; 01-13-2005 at 11:02 AM. Reason: change wording
Old 01-13-2005, 11:36 AM
Top Dog

First off, you have to post some pics of your st. bernard! If your able of course. They are sooo adorable!

I would allow her to drink throughout the day. Just be sure you give her enough time of outside to empty out so to say, lol. Puppies are so unpredictable and its a learning process for the both of you. They will make mistakes, however, placing a routine will teach her in the long run. I wouldn't keep her food down at any part of the day. Feed her and when she's done, she's done. Like I tell my kids (human kind, lol) I'm not a restuarant, supper is now and either eat now or wait until the next one. LOL Your puppy may not be eating all of what you give her because she's full enough.

Hope this helps!
Old 01-13-2005, 12:07 PM
Active Pup

I am planning to post pics soon. I just got started with this forum. There is nothing as cute as a st. pup and then when they get older are even more adorable. Nothing like a great big dog.. My parents had a st. when I was a child. My kids also had wanted a st. and for Christmas...surprise. I was able to locate a breeder close to be. St. are not a popular breed in Kansas. Any other tips on training? Thanks all...
Old 01-13-2005, 01:20 PM
Felurian

Good advice, Avenlee, but one thing you want to consider with the Giants is that if they are allowed to learn to graze it's a much healthier way for them to eat. One of the most important things it does is keeps them from gorging quickly - one of the possible causes of bloat. You have to use some judgement; you can't give them access to unlimited food, but leaving the proper amount for each meal available to them is a good way to encourage a safer eating style. And very few large ones are reluctant eaters that have to be trained to finish their meals!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-13-2005, 01:42 PM
Active Pup

ANyone out there who have a st. Bernard or large breed dog? Should I limit food to only 4 times a day or leave food out all day? what's everyone's input. I am going to open up a new thread to maybe get more response. Thanks all.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:47 PM
Felurian

I have two Fila Brasilieros - fairly large molossoids, lol! German Shepherds and a GSD/Akita cross (110 pounds) since I was 12 - and no, I'm not telling how long that is!

You'll also find very good advice, especially for giant and large breeds at www.greatdanelady.com .

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-13-2005, 03:10 PM
Top Dog

St. ... You know, I shouldn't really talk, I've bragged about my two dogs (cocker spaniel and westie) and haven't posted any pictures yet. My computer is so outdated at home though and haven't found the time to actually sit and get the darn pics out of my digital camera yet. I haven't even figured out the camera yet. My 16 yr old daughter normally takes the pics. Thank heavens for her. Sadie is a black cocker and I can never get her to show up on the pictures. Drives me nuts! Reminds me of that commercial with the boy half way through a Cannonball into a pool and waiting for his mom to upload the pics from the camera. I'm horrible that way

Renee ... also great advice regarding the larger dogs. I can definately see your point. Now that my two smaller dogs are a bit older I do slack on that rule, however, I think as a puppy it worked on getting them into a routine. Again, though they are smaller breed of a dog and probably a whole different scenerio.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:29 PM
Felurian

It's strange. Even though there is almost no presently discernable chromosomal difference, the small breeds and the large breeds have some definite differences that go far beyond size. I've run across a lot of small breed owners with finicky eaters or pups with poor appetites, but I've yet to run across a large or giant that didn't eat, as long as there were no health issues or anything unusual like grieving.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian