Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Buried Bones

Old 10-10-2008, 02:18 AM
Just try me..

LOL I am an agility trainer We do reward infrequently. But if you talk to the best of the best they ALL say if you click you must reward. (Susan Garrett, If you dont' want to reward, don't click. It is communication Greg Derret etc etc, no one is missing that. Its a communication and a promise. I try never to break a promise.

(the studies are practical too)
Old 10-10-2008, 09:25 AM
Top Dog

Actually there are some service dog organizations that don't treat after every click.... It makes it easier to build behavior chains. I know there are some trainers who are really looking at it right now and figuring out if it helps or hurts the training.

Basically, though, I say if you're not a professional trainer and you're only working with your one personal dog, just take the easy route and give a treat after every click. Otherwise you might stretch the reinforcement out too far and you'll get a dog who's desensetized to the clicker. It is pretty hard to tell when to give a reinforcement and when not to, so for most people it's just easier to do it every time. Of course, it is important to put all dogs on variable schedules of reinforcement, so for pet dog owners I just say don't click if you don't want to give a treat.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:00 AM

When I helped out with Zoo training, particularly with the gorilla's, there were times when the 'reward marker' was used more as a "you done good, let's make it a little cleaner" marker...rewards were not always given.

The keepers thought that this made the jackpots for 'superior' performance much more rewarding and still allowed a very specific and clear message that they were headed in the right direction.

Reward markers in Zoo training are also used for a much longer period of time than they are for dog training.

I still use clickers in all of my classes, from puppy to GROWL and everything in between and I do teach that it is simply a reward marker (followed by the reward EVERY SINGLE TIME).

Edited to fit more appropriately into this thread - CLEARLY A CLICKER BASICS THREAD.

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/

Last edited by dr2little; 10-10-2008 at 12:23 PM.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:11 AM
<----Thanks Allie

I think that since this is a 101 thread, we should keep it "user friendly." I am not a trained anything. I have two dogs that are my buddies. The time I spend training them is more like fun time than it is work time for us. I would have no clue when to click and not treat or click and treat.

It's easier for me to click and treat in the beginning, and then randomly click and treat after the behavior is learned or after a series of behaviors. as in "sit, good sit! down, good down! stay.........good stay! click, treat."

so in the gist of 101 training, maybe we can leave this thread with the basics.... I for one would get wholey confused on when to not treat after clicking. JMO.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpaeanx View Post
I think that since this is a 101 thread, we should keep it "user friendly." I am not a trained anything. I have two dogs that are my buddies. The time I spend training them is more like fun time than it is work time for us. I would have no clue when to click and not treat or click and treat.

It's easier for me to click and treat in the beginning, and then randomly click and treat after the behavior is learned or after a series of behaviors. as in "sit, good sit! down, good down! stay.........good stay! click, treat."

so in the gist of 101 training, maybe we can leave this thread with the basics.... I for one would get wholey confused on when to not treat after clicking. JMO.
I couldn't agree more and actually thought about revising my post for that very reason.

For dog training, ALWAYS follow the click with a reward, without exception. The clicker (or any reward marker) can be faded once the behavior being taught is understood. I use the LIGHT BULB MOMENT as my indicator that the reward marker has done it's job and it's time to start to fade into cues.

Fading the reward will take much more time and should be done very gradually once distance, duration and distraction has been added.

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 04-19-2009, 07:32 PM
Big Dog

Default Fun at our Puppy Class!!

sorry about this.

Last edited by Val_theAussie; 04-19-2009 at 07:33 PM. Reason: new thread...
Old 06-19-2009, 02:43 AM
erica12

I trained my dog before when he was 7 month old but I realized that he wasn't like to be trained he just want the stake i gave him every time there's a good trick he made or a hard fall.

lots of stuffs!
Old 08-23-2009, 04:38 AM
Active Pup

Yeh you are right. Particle is what all about in this regard. Studies can make you a good reader but not a good trainer.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:04 PM
Big Dog

Wow, thanks so much for this post! I have been trying to learn about this method to see if it would be right for our next puppy and this is a really great start
Old 03-17-2010, 10:18 AM
Active Pup

is it realy effective method to train dogs? another form of mind conditioning strategy.

more info on dog training