Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Rescue Forum

Old 01-12-2005, 08:54 PM
Top Dog

Default I have a story...

I lost my beloved yellow lab, Yogi, a year ago December to lymphoma. I wasn't wanting to get another dog right away -- of course there's no way to replace the loved one you lost. And I still had Eli, my golden. But Eli is no spring chicken and loves having a brother and was so lonely without a brother. So, I started doing some searching. Mind you, I'm in LAB RESCUE and everything. I started sprouting out to look into neighborhood lab rescue groups, too. Just to see who may be out there. That's when I found Petfinders and found out there was a yellow lab at my local humane society... no picture or anything. He had been in there for awhile and was picked up as a stray. Needless to say I called our Lab Rescue coordinator and told her about him. Said I would even foster him. She just said "oh, they never call us because they know a purebred will be placed". So, I didn't think anything about it. UNTIL, I noticed the next day he was no longer listed on the Petfinder site. And I was on the phone with yet another lab rescue group and happened to mention this yellow lab I saw on Petfinder at the humane society. The girl goes "oh my god, he's GOT to get out of there! He's been taken off the adoption floor because he's so stressed out!". Needless to say, that's my Hunter. I got him, I love him. He's a great dog. I was just going to foster, but he's my forever dog and he's in his forever home. So, my first acclimation to Petfinder.com was quite interesting! Talk about a window of opportunity that was opened up to me and Hunter by Him above!!!!
Old 01-12-2005, 09:05 PM
Island dweller

That's such a sweet story. They have so many great animals on petfinder. Some day I want a pot bellied pig! Really.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saje
That's such a sweet story. They have so many great animals on petfinder. Some day I want a pot bellied pig! Really.
I got Hunter out of there on a Thursday night. The night before he was to be euthanized the next day =:-0

Pot Bellied pigs are great, I hear. Someone at work has one. It uses a cat litter box, eats anything you give it, and is sweet as can be! (at 40 pounds!!)
Old 01-12-2005, 11:44 PM
Island dweller

Only 40? I thought they were more. I hear you have to totally protect your house because they will eat anything that is loose. That may be a slight exageration.
Old 01-13-2005, 11:10 AM
Top Dog

Years ago I wanted a potbelly so badly, and finally found one. I will never believe she was a full blooded potbelly pig, she got as big as a farm pig. She was a hoot.
Molly would eat paper if left in her sight, after eatting some homework (once took it right out of a bookbag) the kids quickly learned to keep things out of her sight. She started with a literbox, then a bigger box, then 2 literboxes next to each other. Molly wouldnt go pooh in one, she did that outside. She'd stand by the door and complain to let us know she needed out. I decided to remove the literboxes and she would do both jobs outside.
Now Molly hated rain, snow, cold and heat. She would have to be pushed out the door when the weather wasnt to her liking. Because she was so big it would take me and my kids working together to push her out, she'd quickly do her job then run back in.
I learned they go in heat every 18 days for 3 days. This was 3 days of going around nosing us, nonstop. First time I was freaking out, couldnt figure out why she wouldnt leave me alone. I called my dad who had been a farmer to ask him why does she do this! I even asked the vet if she could get fixed, at that time he had never heard of anyone wanting to have a pig fixed, he wasnt sure.
She became very territorial. When company came she'd walk over, fuss and hit them with her nose, walk off and go lay down. As if to say this is my house dont forget it. I finally had to make a decision. She had outgrown our home and her nose could do alot of damage (I had lots of bruises). She didnt like company and with kids we always had a houseful. I went on a search to find her a good home, someone who could handle her odd ways.
I really enjoyed her and wish we had lived in the country with her. We still sit and giggle about Molly when we talk about her. We had some wonderful memories of her. She was a blast.