Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 03-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criosphynx View Post
personally, I can say my cues under my breath, barely audible, and if the dog can hear it, they comply
Oh yes, I LOVE whispering cues to my dog. It's especially helpful in public with the service dogs.

I think about 98% of the time my dogs don't do a behavior when I cue it, it's because 1.) I don't have their attention, or 2.) I haven't sufficiently trained the cue.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:52 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I think about 98% of the time my dogs don't do a behavior when I cue it, it's because 1.) I don't have their attention, or 2.) I haven't sufficiently trained the cue.

this is the belief I subscribe to as well

Emma is really really good with the whispered cues...I think shes almost lip reading LOL
Old 03-07-2010, 02:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPuckett1989 View Post
But I noticed today with sadie when I was outside,if I used a more firm and loud,not yelling but louder than you would talk to someone,that she responded more quickly and better than usual.
It could have been as simple as the fact that she was outside ... and there were more distractions.

Many times puppies (or adult rescue dogs) are first trained indoors (or in a quiet yard, maybe even one with a privacy fence) and they comply perfectly ... but then it becomes a completely different ballgame once distractions are added into the mix! They (puppies and dogs) often need additional training to comply when distractions are present. I'm thinking that may have been it, since you distinctly mentioned that you first noticed this while outside.

You don't need to yell to teach distraction-resistance ... just need to teach her to focus on YOU instead of all the nifty distractions outside.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:43 PM
Top Dog

I have a dog who, if "commanded" in a firm voice, will decide she is no longer interested in interacting with you thank you very much. She's as willing a worker as I've met, and tries harder than any dog out there to do the right thing - but she's incredibly soft and everything needs to be upbeat and pleasant. I could probably recondition her to think a firm or angry voice was the greatest thing in the world so she would tolerated it - but I'm just as happy with my sing-song "leave it" and "this way" and whisper quiet 'lie down', and she's as reliable as many other dogs I know.

Command, cue, request or plea - the dogs are simply doing what they have been reinforced to do. Whatever tone of voice gets a good response and a happy working dog is the right answer for that dog.