Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 03-03-2010, 10:22 PM
Top Dog

A REALLY REALLY bad idea. Why would you ever want to let your ferrets loose and loose around dogs in a park? Just crazy.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:02 PM
Twin 2

You know, besides the fact that those two ferrets could have very well have gotten pretty dead, there is a big possibility of a dog getting hurt by one. They are predators and not push overs by any means, they could do a lot of harm to a dog especially if said dog wasn't completely intent on killing the ferret.

I have to put two out of six of my ferrets away if either of the dogs are in the room with them because they will hurt one of the dogs no question.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:20 PM
orange iguanas.

Uhhhh yeah my dogs would see nothing but lunch if they saw ferrets anywhere. Juno is completely mesmerized by my rats just sleeping in their cage, God forbid she should see an animal MOVE out in the open.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 03-03-2010, 11:52 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Ok well that is just stupid of that ferret owner.. Wow.

But I have to add something else, as a ferret owner Not attacking anybody, and not talking about this situation that Laurelin was talking about either. But, if you have your dogs out for a walk, and if you see ferrets out as well, on or off leash (yes, I will let Rascal drag his leash when we are in sight of the house, cause he stays close and/or runs straight to the door), those ferrets have as much rights as your dog to be there, and it is YOUR responsibility to keep your dog away. Even if you know your dog is ok with ferrets... those ferrets may not be ok with dogs. They are predators, and can do alot of damage, especially to smaller dogs (after all, ferrets eat rabbits). Of course, that is not applicable if it is in a dog park.

I honestly just mention that because people do not seem to understand that fact. They think since their pet is a dog, they have more of a right to be outside then ferrets do Or I have even had people figure since their dog is fine with small animals, and I have my dog with my ferrets, it is fine to let their dog come up. Uh... no. My ferrets are fine with MY dog, who they live with and see daily. Now yes, if I see a dog coming within distance (or even in the area if they are offleash) I pull my ferrets up, because quite frankly, I do not trust people to control their dogs.

LOL ok I am done ranting now
Continue with the reason for Laur posting the thread

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 03-03-2010, 11:55 PM
Water Junkie

That's true Jess, but it's also the Ferret owner's responsibility to keep your ferret/s the heck away from my dogs (because I know what my dogs would do, lol).

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 03-04-2010, 12:00 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizmo View Post
That's true Jess, but it's also the Ferret owner's responsibility to keep your ferret/s the heck away from my dogs (because I know what my dogs would do, lol).
Yes, but my thing was like if the ferrets were there first, obviously in a spot where you could stay away and such. If you had a dog who was not good with other dogs, and there was other dogs there... would you stay away? If they ferret is there first, you have to respect that.

Do not take me wrong, I am not saying the ferrets get one way or the other. I mean, if I plan on taking the boys someplace, I go and there are other dogs there, I turn around and leave. yes, if dogs come obviously they SHOULD pick up their ferrets... but if you know that your dog poses a threat with small animals, you should not have them offleash if there was a small animal there previously (obviously it is diff if they come AFTER or if you do not realize)

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 03-04-2010, 12:20 AM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Yes, but my thing was like if the ferrets were there first, obviously in a spot where you could stay away and such. If you had a dog who was not good with other dogs, and there was other dogs there... would you stay away? If they ferret is there first, you have to respect that.

Do not take me wrong, I am not saying the ferrets get one way or the other. I mean, if I plan on taking the boys someplace, I go and there are other dogs there, I turn around and leave. yes, if dogs come obviously they SHOULD pick up their ferrets... but if you know that your dog poses a threat with small animals, you should not have them offleash if there was a small animal there previously (obviously it is diff if they come AFTER or if you do not realize)
No, I wouldn't stay. Just because 1) I know I couldn't have my dog offleash with that type stimulation/prey (whatever you would call it, lol) and 2) I would worry that the ferret would accidentally run over to my dog and something bad would happen.

Honestly, I don't think I'd even stay with my dog under control ON leash. I would still be very worried the ferret would run over near my dog.

Just what I would probably do if the ferret was there off leash.

ETA: this is also another reason I walk with a walking stick/crook most of the time now. I don't trust many people/dogs/cats/small animals.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 03-04-2010, 02:23 AM
Animal Nut!

Oh that is just nuts. I have 6 chinchillas and I would never let them run loose in a dog park, that is horrible. I would only take them on a leash.
Old 03-04-2010, 02:54 AM
Tru evil has no pantyline

Running loose is insanity! I keep my DOGS on leash when I see other dogs, on or off. You just never know.

I must say I also agree with Jess. I think every person is responsible for the safety and behaviour of their animals.

Run free my special angel. I love you and will miss you forever more. You touched everyone with your light.

Abusive ground RAW feeder since 2009

Blog---> http://bananarepublic-ct.blogspot.com/
Old 03-04-2010, 08:32 AM
<--------Orson

Uh ya........bad idea. Maybe he was looking for a law suit?

And as to what Jess said, yes, I agree that Ferrets and their owners have every right to enjoy a park just like dogs and their owners do.............but I NEVER do something to intentionally put my dogs in danger, and letting ferrets run loose at a park with loose dogs IS putting them in danger whether it's a DOG PARK or a PUBLIC PARK makes no difference........DANGER IS DANGER and they count on YOU to keep them safe. JMO of course, never owned a ferret before, LOL