Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 02-23-2010, 06:05 PM
Puppy Dog

Glad things worked out. Often it just takes time and clear rules. (no chase kitty! )

I just wanted to add one small note: Yorkies are considered an at risk breed for tracheal collapse, as such it is reccomended to walk them on a harness and never use a mesh/fabric muzzle for extended periods. A basket muzzle is considered safe as the dog can pant normaly in it.
Old 03-01-2010, 06:38 AM
Active Pup

Im a bit late to the party, but im glad things are finally starting to work out.

Your dog had a "new baby" syndrome, and was afraid the new family member would interfere with the attention he was getting.

This MAY happen again, if he feels that you are ignoring him (Cuddling the cat more, talking to the cat more and/or talking in such a way that makes him think you might like the cat more)

you will have to be very careful for awhile, and show your dog more love than usual, until he has completely accepted his new friend into your life.
There is no room for equality in a dogs world, someone is always on top, and everyone knows their place.

For the Love of All things Furry
Old 03-01-2010, 11:44 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourPaws View Post
Im a bit late to the party, but im glad things are finally starting to work out.

Your dog had a "new baby" syndrome, and was afraid the new family member would interfere with the attention he was getting.

Really? Sounded like pure and simple prey drives to me.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Active Pup

IF it were pure and simple prey drives, would it have stopped?

If it is a prey drive, wouldn't the corgi now be biding his time, until he can strike?

There must be something more to it than just raw instinct. Instinct doesnt just stop and settle down.

Old 03-01-2010, 04:19 PM
Just try me..

behaviours from instinct can absolutely be modified. You would think someone with your link would know that.

JRTs can learn not to chase the horses, or to scream constantly at the rat cage (lol both specifically things I have taught) BC can learn to control their desire to herd livestock except when asked. Male dogs can be taught not to mark in the house, and not to breed a female in heat when working..
Old 03-01-2010, 04:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourPaws View Post
IF it were pure and simple prey drives, would it have stopped?

If it is a prey drive, wouldn't the corgi now be biding his time, until he can strike?

There must be something more to it than just raw instinct. Instinct doesnt just stop and settle down.
Absolutely, it can be controlled or trained as to what is acceptable or not. I have jrts that hunt, meaning they enter the earth in a natural setting, locate and work gh, coon & fox. Therefore these dogs have very high prey drives, know how to use their hard wired instincts and are successful.
However my best hunting dog loves cats and all my dogs have been trained to call off cats and other critters.
Old 03-02-2010, 03:02 AM
Active Pup

Of course I realize instincts can be modified. After all, is that not what dog training is, modifying a dog's natural behaviour?

My point was in this scenario, this dog was uncontrollable (that was why it was an issue) and since then, almost magically, he settles down, and now things are okay between the pup and kitty.

I guess it is possible that a dog can change its OWN natural behaviour, but, unless I have missed something, he wasn't trained to do so, just seperated, so he didnt go insane at the cat.

This dog is in his golden years, most likely near deaf (as indicated) so any proper training is almost certainly out of the question.
Just the facts as I see them, no need to get all judgemental.

Anyone else pick up on the fact that this dog modified his behaviour on his own?
Now he and the kitty are best friends

Old 03-02-2010, 11:01 PM
Top Dog

It wasn't magical, it took 8 months according to the OP in which time the dog became desensitized to the cat. Not only learning to tolerate the cat but to accept it as a friend, hardly unheard of.