Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-26-2010, 09:14 AM
Not a lurker

They get over it really fast. My ex (ok that doesn't sound good, I swear it wasn't over the dog) said "no more dogs" - he went to a military school that kept him out of the house for almost a month...he came home to a hostile GSD that has never liked him. That was over a year ago.

It's easier to beg for forgiveness than ask for permission, Fran's right.
Old 02-26-2010, 10:12 AM
Top Dog

Puppydog let me know how it goes. I soooooooo want a liver bitch out of an upcoming litter and hubby is dead set about no more dogs.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:50 AM
Top Dog

Yikes...I hope you sit down and have a serious conversation before you bring the little girl home. Only you know your husband, but I wouldn't bank on "oh, he'll come around when he sees how cute she is!" That's just going to breed resentment in the future...

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 02-26-2010, 11:13 AM
Top Dog

My husband did NOT want another dog after my standard poodle died. I wanted five years, then told him, "You know I'm getting another dog, right?" He was not happy. He went with me to pick out the puppy, which was the last one. He liked the puppy because it didn't jump on people. It took a day or two, but he ended up loving Hamish. It took about five minutes for him to start telling me how I was training the puppy all wrong, and another five minutes for him to work on tug with the puppy.

I think you need to let DH know you are intent on showing dogs, and that there is a fantastic puppy available. He'll look sad, but probably come around. He's going to probably agree to the puppy, not because he wants another puppy, but because he wants you to be happy (and happy with him). Remind him that a drinking is more expensive.