Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-17-2010, 10:12 AM
~Caiza~

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrose_s View Post
I think if your concerned your better to do something and not have to worry about it eating at you later. Better safe than sorry.

PS. I hope Caiza is well. I often still think of him
AWW, Mrose, u even remember his name! He is doing very well thank you He is going to be 5 this June....can't believe it. I hope u and Buster are well. I lost my password and just was going through to many life challenges to come on. But I'm back
Old 02-17-2010, 11:44 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post

now continue, tell me how likely it was that he'd jump over a 3 foot rail from the 2nd story. I know it's coming. and it still won't change my opinion. Especially if he's been being put out there since he was a puppy, he'll respect that rail just because it's there. now throw in 20 feet of drop off, i'm sure he's not jumping. But go ahead, tell me how it's possible.
Oakley (much smaller than a lab) jumped over 3 foot railings from a 2nd story...in 70 degree weather...onto concrete....while supervised.

just sayin.

Thanks Jessie!

Old 02-17-2010, 11:55 AM
Top Dog

Oh! *gasp* poor Oakley. I had a cat that jumped through the railing on a 2nd story deck into a garden. Boy, did that scare me. I am not sure about dogs and cats how their depth perception works. There are some stories, like that one where the dogs are jumping off that bridge in Scotland. (was it Scotland?) A young, inexperienced pup might slip through the rails. When I visited my daughter with Lyric, my Doberman and we'd be sitting on her 2nd story balcony, he'd stick his head through the slats and his shoulders actually fit between them and he'd sort of lean forward with his feet half off the edge to look at squirrels or dogs going by. If his feet had slipped over the edge, it is possible that he could have gone through and over. It use to make me nervous and I'd hover and soon, make him go back inside.

Anyhow, as it was said, "better safe than sorry."
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-17-2010, 12:15 PM
Top Dog

Not all labs have that coat to substain themselves for long in the cold. From the OP discription of the lab, it has a thinner coat than the standard labs.

Old 02-17-2010, 12:21 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

EVery creature deserves to be able to find shelter from the elements. A wild creature can seek their own. A dog on a balcony can not.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 02-17-2010, 12:33 PM
Fishies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smkie View Post
EVery creature deserves to be able to find shelter from the elements. A wild creature can seek their own. A dog on a balcony can not.
But a balcony is set off from a building, which can be, in some cases, all the shelter one needs. A decent wind break. Many have a bit of a roof too.

I'm sure it was good to have the dog checked on, but I'm not going to jump on to the omg, thats abuse bandwagon, without being there.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:39 PM
Top Dog

I am not on the OMG it's abuse wagon either....necessarily. I just think it isn't very nice. And could pose a risk and it was good of the OP to check on the dog. Nothing wrong with that. JMO.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-17-2010, 01:18 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv View Post
I am not on the OMG it's abuse wagon either....necessarily. I just think it isn't very nice. And could pose a risk and it was good of the OP to check on the dog. Nothing wrong with that. JMO.
Ditto. Maybe the police visit would make the owners aware that someone is always watching, which in turn make them more aware of their dog's living conditions.

Old 02-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Top Dog

Yes, sometimes people aren't aware of what risks might be involved with an unsupervised dog. And just the fact that someone talked to them, as long as it was done nicely, might make them think and be more cautious in general, if they're not cautious enough.

Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-17-2010, 03:46 PM
BusterLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattlehound_ACD View Post
AWW, Mrose, u even remember his name! He is doing very well thank you He is going to be 5 this June....can't believe it. I hope u and Buster are well. I lost my password and just was going through to many life challenges to come on. But I'm back
Good to see you back
Buster is great and turned 7 last month