Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-10-2010, 06:13 PM
orange iguanas.

Eh, I think it'd depend on the context. Juno is always trying to high-five me (so it becomes more of a wave), but I figure it's just her offering a behavior, and the fact that she's a boxer and using their paws is just what they do. lol.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006
Old 02-10-2010, 06:41 PM
Jelly baby?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
Do you get points docked in Rally for your dog waving to you?
She said in a front, they won't count it as a front unless all 4 paws are on the ground. So yeah

And part of it is that he's a boxer, and paws are everything. That's why it took ages for me to teach him to retrieve. And he still likes to smack things before he actually picks them up

Vortex Canine - Custom Harnesses and Leashes

"Never cruel nor cowardly. Never give up. Never give in."
~The Doctor
Old 02-10-2010, 06:42 PM
Top Dog

You can put shaking paws, high five or some other kind of pawing trick on stimulus control, just as you do anything.......by never reinforcing it unless cued. The problem is....it's hard to get everyone the dog does this to, to behave themselves. You then have the added job of putting their behavior on stimulus control.

Like it was said, it can be a calming signal or appeasement. It can be that it's been a behavior that was reinforced a lot in the past (un-cued) so he may be trying it out to see if he can win a reward, like you thought. You have to take these things in context.

Sometimes trainers who don't really know behavior all that well hear something like this and then assign it to your dog regardless of the context. (that's learning by rote) I see this a lot. Yawning is also a calming signal, as is scratching or lying down, turning the head to the side. But that doesn't mean that everytime a dog yawns or lies down, he's giving you a calming signal. LOL. So, just because your dog put up his paw, doesn't mean it was an appeasement gesture.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 02-11-2010, 10:55 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

I agree it can mean so many things

With Beezer it is appeasement just like with most things he does.

with Belle it's a "HEY... I'mh ere... look at me... are you gonna pet me now... can I have a cookie? Hellooooooooooo" LOL

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 02-11-2010, 11:00 AM
Remembering Casey ♥

hmmm.. My aunts lab Puppeh Paws for keely after keely puts her in her place.. Keely is the alpha B*tch.. Emphasis on the b*itch part.. Maybe it is a submissive thing.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:40 AM
Taxiderpy

Charlie is super submissive. He will sit and then lift one paw if he's not sure what we want him to do. Not that he's worried about us attacking him or anything. It's just one of his default behaviors if he isn't sure what we want at that moment, sort of a polite, non threatening display. He makes it look super cute too. Sit down, one foot up, ears pricked, head tilt. lol. Then again, he's a pointer and so many things are point-worthy. The cat, Aurelia, his food, his toys, quail, the cows, etc.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:52 AM
Jelly baby?

Quote:
He makes it look super cute too.
THAT. That is why we even practiced the waving so much. It's so freaking cute xD

Vortex Canine - Custom Harnesses and Leashes

"Never cruel nor cowardly. Never give up. Never give in."
~The Doctor