Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Photography

Old 01-21-2010, 11:08 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amstaffer View Post
I haven't seen much corruption but I have seen a lot of State and Federal laws that handcuff school officials from keeping a safe and orderly environment for learning. Laws that were meant to protect cognitively impair students are now being used to protect gang bangers and thugs from suspension.....no matter the offense. Of course that is another thread for another time.
OK... well if that is not corruption then I guess I used the wrong word.

the system is not working for the teachers or the students.

Too many students to one teacher, limiting teachers to what they think "needs to be taught" especially in history... the side they want to be told and YES that does happen.

Higher school taxes for citizens but no new supplies and YES that is happening here right now... our school taxes went up and the reason? a NEW football stadium. sports more important than learning and grades.

so yeah ok corruption was the wrong word but it is so DYSFUNCTIONAL and just getting WORSE that I don't see how any student or teacher can survive it unscathed and without being completely jaded.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 01-21-2010, 11:40 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
Too many students to one teacher, limiting teachers to what they think "needs to be taught" especially in history... the side they want to be told and YES that does happen.
You should see what they've allegedly enacted in my province. Any mention of religion or sexuality or evolution or any sort of discussion that could be twisted into religion, sexuality or anything about beliefs has to have a permission form sent home to the parent (even in high school) and the parents can pull the students from the lesson and any test without academic repercussion. Any teacher that violates this gets put in front of a human rights counsel and tried.

That's corruption... The whole point of learning is to learn a broad spectrum to feed the brain and ultimately the child and let them make their own educated decisions eventually.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 01-22-2010, 12:25 AM
I'd rather be at Disney

I agree children need a broad spectrum to learn and need to be exposed to things that people might think are "wrong" but education is key. which is another reason we are planning to homeschool Hannah. she is SO restricted by OUR faith and any faith SHE chooses that how can she learn it in school and while I TOTALLY believe in parents being the medium for those things... public school doesn't allow the expression in the students to practice their faiths. or sex for that matter. they have to hide it and be secretive and no wonder kids aren't comfortable talking to anyone... too may parents won't talk about it...s chools are forbidden from it.

and I DO believe in parents having say over what their children are exposed to but if you send them to public school then you are subject to their teachings and if you don't complete the lesson then they fail it period.

and unfortunately public school is prohibited from providing any kind of broad spectrum anymore. they have to cater to the lowest common denominator and go with that and they have to follow the guidelines set for them by the government. or else

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 01-22-2010, 12:36 AM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
I agree children need a broad spectrum to learn and need to be exposed to things that people might think are "wrong" but education is key. which is another reason we are planning to homeschool Hannah. she is SO restricted by OUR faith and any faith SHE chooses that how can she learn it in school and while I TOTALLY believe in parents being the medium for those things... public school doesn't allow the expression in the students to practice their faiths. or sex for that matter. they have to hide it and be secretive and no wonder kids aren't comfortable talking to anyone... too may parents won't talk about it...s chools are forbidden from it.

and I DO believe in parents having say over what their children are exposed to but if you send them to public school then you are subject to their teachings and if you don't complete the lesson then they fail it period.

and unfortunately public school is prohibited from providing any kind of broad spectrum anymore. they have to cater to the lowest common denominator and go with that and they have to follow the guidelines set for them by the government. or else
I've never been in a public school so i don't know 100% what you're talking about, but i went to catholic school and it's like taking 100% no religion to 100% Catholicism involved in everything. Birth control wasn't allowed to be taught in our sex ed, just abstinence (which of course works, but it not something that should be taught as an only thing) and natural family planning (which isn't responsible to teach to teenagers that likely will not follow it properly at all). I know that it's a catholic school but religion classes got to the point where instead of enlightening about all religions which was supposed to be the topic of grade 12, it ended up being the teacher bashing all other faiths besides catholicism and going to the point of telling us that we'd all go to hell if we chose anything other than to be catholic (i'm not catholic). When people think sex is forbidden in Public schools, catholic schools are much worse. A girl i know from high school got a 4 day suspension for kissing her girlfriend goodbye in the hallway while there were like 5 or 6 hetero couples macking it up pretty much going to the point before they rip their clothes off and copulate like a bunch of wild animals on the cafeteria tables.

Back on topic:
I've also been through a couple teacher strikes, one lasted 2 months when i was in grade 6. Things have gotten worse and worse for teachers up here too especially in the separate division, teachers are getting cut all over the place. My high school had 3 principals 4 secretaries, and a bunch of other random other administrators for a school of only about 1000 kids yet teachers were getting cut all over the board. It's ridiculous
ETA: And i find it ridiculous that the sports teams can get all this extra funding but our textbooks are outdated and one particular text has soviet union where Russia was supposed to be and it was used for current geography and not history. Instead of allowing for fund raising for new books and maps and supplies for learning, the school put a fund raiser on to buy a taxidermy cougar... Yeah... Really gonna help the school...

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 01-22-2010, 07:33 AM
Thanks, and Gig 'em.

Quote:
I don't think teaching is EASY--I just think that the benefits extend beyond salary. Underappreciated, definitely. Underpaid, I don't believe as strongly.
What other benefits do they get, exactly? They get stuff insured by the state (since they're a state employee) but they could get that at any other state job.

And whoever was talking about the hours working, yah they 'only' work from 8 to 3, but then they go home and grade papers, make lesson plans, put together project examples, worksheets, etc. And this is after they leave school (they sure as hell don't leave at 3, closer to 5). And they get oooh about 30 minutes for their teacher office hour things, which also coincides with their lunch period, which also coincides with their parent conference hours. So don't say "but they get time for that stuff at school!"

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, throughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming --- 'WOW, WHAT A RIDE!!!!' " - Author Unknown
Old 01-22-2010, 08:07 AM
feel the magic

Does anyone like my pictures?
Old 01-22-2010, 08:11 AM
Top Dog

I do

You're a wonderful photographer!
Old 01-22-2010, 08:43 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
You should see what they've allegedly enacted in my province. Any mention of religion or sexuality or evolution or any sort of discussion that could be twisted into religion, sexuality or anything about beliefs has to have a permission form sent home to the parent (even in high school) and the parents can pull the students from the lesson and any test without academic repercussion. Any teacher that violates this gets put in front of a human rights counsel and tried.

That's corruption... The whole point of learning is to learn a broad spectrum to feed the brain and ultimately the child and let them make their own educated decisions eventually.
Thats scary....how do they teach world geography? A big part of human culture is religion. Talk about perpetuating ignorance
Old 01-22-2010, 09:10 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbecca View Post
Does anyone like my pictures?
I thought the pictures were great, candid and clear
Old 01-22-2010, 09:21 AM
Top Dog

Good job on the pics! What type of camera?