Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Photography

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-21-2010, 02:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbecca View Post
No, actually, his teacher has more than "just" her bachelors.
I didn't say "just"...

Quote:
Trust me, these teachers ARE underpaid.
And this is coming from a PARENT whose child is out of school right now due to these strikes.
If no one is willing to do the job for $30k, then yeah, you can argue they're underpaid. I can tell you that my mom's school district (in california, where she's a kindergarten teacher) is flooded with teachers willing to teach for salaries in the low $30's, so my reference point is based on that. I've always looked at teachers as being paid in multiple ways--money is a part of that, but there are huge intangible pay checks that other professions don't get.

I do think there should be "hazard pay" like the military gives soldiers in dangerous places, for teachers willing to teach in inner city schools. I was offered a job in inner city baltimore or DC while I got my masters, but man, that is a rough place to start your career. I don't want to break up gang fights and confiscate guns from my students.

Quote:
Oh man. This whole d@mn city is as corrupt as the day is long, and we cannot wait to get the hell out of here.
I hope you are able to move away quickly if you're unhappy!

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG