Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-19-2010, 02:32 PM
Top Dog

I'd feel the same way. My cousin's kids had a teacup Yorkie and they would pick it up and drop it, kick it and just generally abuse it. That poor dog shook constantly. When those kids came to my house and tried to do the same with my dogs I put them in time out....and they didn't do it anymore. Their parents just don't care. It makes me furious, especially with little dogs that are so easily hurt. It is kind of a hard topic to raise though. I consider it under the parenting umbrella and most people get super defensive if they think their parenting is being criticized. And since I don't have kids I don't really feel qualified to comment on how other people are raising theirs....even if they're clearly doing it wrong. Lol.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 01-19-2010, 02:37 PM
Not a lurker

I don't think you're overreacting at all, and no offense to your friend, but they are being ignorant.
I trust Lacey with my kids, she will get up and move away from them if they start to pester her too much, but ALL dogs have a breaking point, and they'd be best to remove the dog/child from the situation before the dog is pushed to the point of feeling the need to defend itself.

They should remove the child from the situation and explain why. That's the best thing to do, the dog doesn't understand but a child can, even a young one. My youngest is 18 months old and if I say "No it's time to leave the doggy alone" and redirect her to something else to play with, she will. It's a better alternative to a small child being bitten in the face for being a PITA to the dog.
Old 01-19-2010, 03:53 PM
Let it be

I would have said something but if it's their child and their dog, sadly it's their choice on how they let them interact.

I've had children over here that try and do that to my dog. People get the boot. Bandit will play tea party and dress up and can handle kids accidently falling on him or stepping on him every now and again. It makes him very uncomfortable if they keep harassing him though. I've kicked people out for their rude behavior towards my dog and would do it again.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:44 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

ugh I HATE when parents allow children to behave like that towards their pets. My step sister is the same way. they have a Dogue de Bordeaux and she is still quite young (might be just over a year if that) and they have two boys that they allow to do WHATEVER they want to this poor dog and I mean WHATEVER they want. My mom is always telling me how badly she feels for that poor dog but they don't care. the kids jump on her, pull her skin and tail and ears, hit her with sticks and are just BRATS.

The oldest boy... when he was younger. started messing with my moms dog and my mom would repeatedly tell him NO and seperate them but he just wouldn't listen and then shelby bit him because he just would not leave her alone... and the parents didn't care about that either. "well he deserved it" well yeah he probably did but you think that's OK? to allow your child to behave that way and push an animal to that point and then say "oh well his fault". they are very lucky shelby is a small dog.

They basically made her HATE children and be totally fearful and defensive around them. it took almost a week for her to come around when we were there with hannah and realize that hannah wasn't going to do any of that stuff to her. Once she realized that we woudln't allow hannah to basically torment her shelby would actually get up on the couch and lay with hannah and go in and sleep in front of her pack and play when hannah was sleeping. but she STILL will not go near those boys.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 01-20-2010, 07:24 AM
Top Dog

We taught our son from the start to respect all dogs. If he dosn't want to be messed with or play, we have tthe dog stop and vice versa. Kirby is nine years old and does well with it but we still tell him when enough is enough. He likes to lean over on top of them and hug them and will do it even when they are trying to eat. None of our dogs are botherd by being fooled with even when eating, but the point is respect.