Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 01-11-2010, 06:33 PM
Wookie Collie

Default Tongue warts

Finn has two growths under his tongue. They're each the size of a pea, though one is slightly bigger than the other. They're light, and cauliflower-esque.

A friend told me they're warts, and that they'll go away on their own, but they've been there for a month and a half, at least. They haven't grown in that time, and they don't appear to be causing him discomfort.

I'm thinking a vet visit is a good idea, but was wondering if anyone else has ever had this issue with their dogs? What causes it? Should he go to the vet, and if so, what treatment to they use for dogs?

Thanks!

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 01-11-2010, 07:35 PM
Top Dog

If it's a wart, it looks like it will eventually go away on its own. However, it's probably a good idea to have it checked out, lest it be something else.

Viral Papillomas of Dogs - VeterinaryPartner.com - a VIN company!
Old 01-11-2010, 08:06 PM
Wookie Collie

Interesting read, thanks Grab! Looking at the pics and description, that's definitely what he has. He hasn't had it for two months, so it may still go away on its own... I just don't want to incur a vet visit if I don't have to, y'know? $$$ just for a consultation... but at the same time, I don't want him to be in any danger, money isn't worth more than that.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 01-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Aroooooo!

Kody had canine oral papilloma virus last year. Took him to the vets, they said it was contageous, none of my other dogs got it, nor did my friends dog that she brought over. they went away on their own.

He was on raw then and it bothered him a bit eating, but thats it.

"Be it through intention or ignorance, our successes and our failures have been brought on by none other than ourselves." The art of racing in the rain.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:24 PM
Your Mom

I have known a couple of dogs where it took 3 months to completely go away. It's just ugly and USUALLY doesn't cause discomfort so just keep your eye on them.

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"
Old 01-12-2010, 03:10 PM
Top Dog

I would just give it a little more time and keep a close eye on them. If they haven't changed or multiplied more, then just wait it out..if anything changes and takes longer to go away, I would call your vet. I know it's expensive but some times it's better to do that then find out later it was something more serious. Hope that's not the case. sending positive vibes your way .. have you thought about getting pet insurance? mine covers 90% of vet bills and it's super handy when things pop up.