Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 01-03-2010, 03:06 PM
Ontario BSL rescue

How long was the Panacur (fenbenzadole) treatment? I don't know about dogs, but in cats giardia needs 5--7 days of treatment with benbenzadole that is repeated in two weeks. This is longer than typical deworming. It may be worth looking up the recommended treatment to be sure it was long enough.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:30 PM
Gigi Monster & Evil Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by corky View Post
How long was the Panacur (fenbenzadole) treatment? I don't know about dogs, but in cats giardia needs 5--7 days of treatment with benbenzadole that is repeated in two weeks. This is longer than typical deworming. It may be worth looking up the recommended treatment to be sure it was long enough.
It was definitely that long. At least Enchante likes taking her meds, although the other two dogs do NOT.
Old 01-05-2010, 08:43 PM

Today I was at the vet, to have fecal samples from the pupsters and see how we are doing on the giardia front.

I asked him about bleaching my yard with bleach water. He said that the bleach water won't do anything . . . that there is nothing that I can do to treat the yard and get rid of giardia if it is there.

I still plan on finishing up with the bottles of bleach that I bought. But I no longer have much hope about this helping.

I will hear what the test results are tomorrow. I suspect that they still do have giardia. At least the two younger ones. The older one seems fine. But if by some miracle the new puppy tests negative, it will be the first time since I brought her home.
Old 01-06-2010, 06:27 PM

The vet called me with results this morning . . . the pupsters tested negative. Yeah!!! First time in 6 months that Enchante has tested negative. And oddly enough in the last couple of days, the reasons why I thought they might still have giardia had disappeared too.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:07 PM
Top Dog

I've heard many times that there is a way you can spray your yard and it helps ..but yeah, that is definitely a tough situation. I hope that you can find a solution for it. good luck!
Old 01-06-2010, 10:24 PM
Ontario BSL rescue

Great news!
Old 01-07-2010, 03:52 PM
Top Dog

great news,,giardia is hard to get rid of,,,the 'cysts can also attach themselves to the lining of the intestines and re hatch /infect months, even years later..They can also get it from drinking scummy pond water/soil...