Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Not a lurker

Default Went on vacation, dog doesn't eat?

So I got back on New Year's eve from a hectic holiday. We left for Arizona on the 23rd of December, and returned to Colorado at 10:30 PM on the 28th. I flew out of Denver at 8 the next morning for California so I left my house around 4 AM.
We took Lacey with us to Arizona, she had a good time playing with horses (ok being chased by a horse and hiding behind me) and doing all the fun things a dog can do on a large ranch. She ate just fine there and was a big hit with my family, especially my grandfather...he absolutely loved her.

So after the trip, I had to leave within hours of getting home. I filled a very large bowl full of food for her, I usually don't free feed but Scott sometimes forgets to feed her if I'm gone so I gave her enough for at least 4 days.
When I got home, she hadn't eaten at all. Not one bite out of that huge bowl of food, so I asked Scott if he refilled the bowl...he hadn't.
He said she'd been nothing but a pain since I'd left with moping around the house and just acting depressed. She did not tear anything up though, so I count my blessings with that. She also wouldn't let him anywhere near her the entire time.

There are going to be times where I will be gone for a week or more coming up soon and cannot take her with me due to restrictions with quarantine, etc. What can I do to make sure she eats while I'm gone? I don't want her st arving (and she lost a little weight on my last trip) because I'm not home?