Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-04-2010, 12:13 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

I agree that there's fat and then there's obese, and yes, I do think for dogs that are really obese that is abuse. I have once seen a dog that was terribly obese - not so much it couldn't walk but it was clearly hard for it to walk. It was out in hot summer heat and it was QUITE obese and I was just disgusted with the owners for letting their dog get THAT obese and then subjecting it to being in that intense heat. It was a black dog on top of it all so that sure wasn't helping the heat issue.
As for dogs that are just a bit fat, I don't like to see it but I think most people really don't know what ideal weight for a dog looks like. I'd rather a dog be slightly overweight than quite honestly too skinny. I do think education is the key. Attempting to legislate the weight of a dog just seems like asking for trouble!

I also agree with sparks that sometimes a dog's weight can just get away from you and it doesn't mean somebody is a terrible owner... it's just an honest mistake. Auggie has so much fur that unless he is dripping weight or you are really putting your hands on him to check for weight, it's hard to see his body underneath. I think I posted on here before about a couple years ago, I took him to the vet and he weighed 22 pounds, and I was like OMG... that is A LOT. The vet tech that weighed him didn't say anything and the vet didn't say anything, but I was just like OMG that cannot be right. I took him to his breeder's husband and was like "Seriously, I think he's fat. Tell me... is he fat, or just fluffy?" Yeah, he was a little beyond fluffy. Whoops. We put him on a diet for a bit and then made further adjustments to what he was eating until we found the right balance.
Now I am MUCH more aware of it and am constantly putting my hands on Auggie to check his figure, and I have a really good feel for it now - like I can tell when he's 16 pounds rather than 15. I don't have a scale of my own and we aren't at the vet very often, but I remember one time when I was picking him up and feeling around and was like "Golly, Auggie, you are getting fat again!" This was right about when I took him to the canine chiropractor and when they put him on the scale, sure enough, he was 16 pounds. Turns out when my dad had been "helping" feeding Auggie breakfast in the mornings, he was overfeeding him. But I know not everybody is going to be as concerned with it as I am... extra weight on my little athlete is not only going to be bad for his performance but more importantly it's extra strain on his joints when he jumps that he does NOT need. Anybody who doesn't have that to worry about probably isn't going to be basically obsessed with it the way I am, LOL.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 01-04-2010, 05:07 AM
Ruddy Buttinski

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artfish View Post
Abusive/neglectful, yes if it clearly affects the quality of life in a dog. Should it be part of an enforceable law? NO. To me, that would be a slippery slope and I can see AR latching onto that. Better to stop having clearly overweight/chunky dogs in dog shows and on TV, have vets educate owners more on what qualifies a FIT weight, and training classes should emphasize and encourage weight loss/proper weight maintenance.

There are many things we can do through education- we really need to stop having the government getting involved in our pet ownership rights and responsibilities. Some laws are good and necessary, but I guarantee we do not want much more government involvement.
That, exactly.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:00 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
maybe I could fill the bath tub up and do water therapy? She'd kill me for that.
I'd pay good money to see that (the water therapy that is) LOL
Old 01-04-2010, 03:11 PM
Top Dog

Just found this thread but I must say I agree that it is a form of abuse to let a dog get obese. Besides being uncomfortable for the dog they develop all kinds of health issues. I've never understood people who have obese dogs unless they have a medical condition that can't be controlled.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Blow. Me. Away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criosphynx View Post
I'd pay good money to see that (the water therapy that is) LOL

Old 01-04-2010, 11:47 PM
Puppy Dog

I think the bigger picture needs to be adressed, which is constant promotion of poor quality diets that are chalk full simple carbs which are converted directly into glucose, giving the dog an abundance of empty calories that are stored as fat, It doesent help that most owners are "too busy" to properly exercise their animals to begin with.
Not to mention that the feeding guidelines on the bag are seriosly flawed, I think the only thing pet food companies are concerned with is making sure the animals eat as much as possible, so the owner can go out and spend more money on food.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:45 AM
Top Dog

it also doesn't help that way too many younger vets have no idea what a fit dog looks like and are accustomed to the thinking a slightly fat dog is healthy.
Old 01-05-2010, 12:48 AM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
it also doesn't help that way too many younger vets have no idea what a fit dog looks like and are accustomed to the thinking a slightly fat dog is healthy.
Or the thought that people have that dogs should have a bit of extra weight in case they get sick... Do people carry extra weight in case they get sick? No! Because that extra weight very well might cause us to get sick in the first place!