Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-04-2010, 09:30 AM
Soon to Be 4 Pups!!

Tell her to buy a pair of clippers & do it herself.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:34 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Exactly. I am sorry i am such a beast about this. WHo cares if the chance of it is to be reported. THe fact is the dog is matted. Ok, it's not that bad yet. So get it done. I use a very sharp pair of fine detail scissors. I take my time sometimes days with a relaxed animal and some treats. Use kind words, gentle hands. Know to let the animal go and not force an ounce of this. They get tired too and need breaks. Starting an easy one so the dog doesn't get scared. ONce they know what is going on they are so glad to have it gone. i have never had one not go still in my hands and let me finish. THat poor cat anus was so scared it winked as I clipped the matted dung away. Also I always bathe first to help get some space between the mat and the skin. Cat that did not know me at all, didn't move a muscle. IT's much easier if the animal does know you. Just get it done and everyone will be happy.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 01-04-2010, 09:37 AM
Top Dog

get her groomed, then buy her a comb and tell her to take care of her dog next time

oh, and you have to be careful doing it yourself, lots of people don't realize the skin can grow into the mat and they end up cutting the animal rather than the hair. Like someone said, make sure there is space between the hair and the skin before you cut.
Old 01-04-2010, 09:50 AM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
oh, and you have to be careful doing it yourself, lots of people don't realize the skin can grow into the mat and they end up cutting the animal rather than the hair. Like someone said, make sure there is space between the hair and the skin before you cut.
^THAT!

I've seen rescue shows (animal cops, etc) where dogs were brought in with mats and PROFESSIONAL groomers had trouble shaving them without leaving little nicks and cuts.

If she's never used clippers on a dog before, I would NOT recommend her start learning on a matted dog

(no, not a groomer here trying to make it out like brain surgery.........just using common sense LOL)
Old 01-04-2010, 10:09 AM
Top Dog

That is so true....with scissors, you have to be soooooo careful. I had a Himilayan cat once that would get a few mats and they were awful. Even my clippers I used on my horse wouldn't work. I took that cat to the groomers several times. I haven't had any long haired dogs or cats since and I don't know if I'd want to mess with that. Anyhow, she should take the dog to the groomers and watch very carefully how it's done, then get herself some adequate clippers and do it herself next time and in the meantime be very disciplined about going through the fur and brushing ever day. It is so much easier to keep on top of it than to let it build up. And it's amazing how fast those mats can form. That's why so far, I've been sticking to short haired dogs. Well, that's not the whole reason why. I just happen to like breeds that happen to have short hair....except for Poodles, which I am thinking about all the time for my next dog, if I get a next dog. LOL.

At any rate, I hope she gets this dog taken care of asap. I know it can be miserable for them. She shouldn't worry about being reported if they're not extreme and she's taking care of it.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-04-2010, 10:57 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
get her groomed, then buy her a comb and tell her to take care of her dog next time

THIS!!!

The worst time for a person to learn to groom their dog is when they have a dog covered in matts. No it is not brain surgery, but it does require an experienced hand. The matted fur pulls the skin taunt or even into the matting depending on the severity making the skin very easy to cut or nick. Also, most home job clippers do not have the power to easily cut through the compromised fur making it pull even more. On top of all of this you now will have a dog that may become stressed during grooming making it a much bigger ordeal than it should be for the dog. It isn't the dogs fault that the owner allowed the coat to get into this condition so the dog shouldn't be the one to suffer.

Please tell your friend to swallow her pride and get her dog groomed. As a groomer we see all kinds, and matting in the pits and legs is not a new story to us. But it is uncomfortable for the dog, I compare it to wearing a pony tail that has a piece of hair pulling. Tell your friend to ask for tips from her groomer on how to keep the coat in matt free condition, a recommended style that will make maintenance easier, etc. I offer free sanitary cleanings and facetrims between grooms and know many other groomers in my area do the same, this gives me a chance to check the condition of the coat and offer any advise I can to the owners or rebook a little earier than anticipated if we should.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:28 AM
<----Thanks Allie

Get the dog groomed, dont' worry about being reported.

you're addressing the problem, so there's not much anyone can do about it. And If you wait the matts will just get worse
Old 01-04-2010, 04:21 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I talked to her earlier and told her what you guys said. I got a text a while ago that said she has an appointment for the 8th. So the dog is getting groomed.

I think it's better that she wait and have it groomed than try it herself and possibly hurt the dog. It's a small dog and not exactly the most pleasant creature so I doubt it's just going to lay there and let her work out the mats.

Thanks again!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:09 PM
tessa_s212

I had a friend that would let the dog get VERY VERY VERY horribly matted.. to the point where it could probably be taken away it was that bad. (The dog HAD to be sedated for grooming, and the owner just could not afford that amount of money every so often.) The groomer worked with it enough now taht it doesn't need to be sedated, so the bill isn't that large, so now it finally gets groomed regularly.

Honestly, most groomers/vet places are just not going to be report happy. So long as you took it to the groomer, there isn't anything they can really do to you. As someone that works for a vet, we've seen FAR worse neglect than just mats, and we haven't/can't report because they finally took them to teh vet, so it won't hold up in court.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:14 PM
Top Dog

aw, poor doggie. I doubt she would get reported, but i dont know for a fact. She is fixing the problem, but she should make sure it doesnt happen again and she takes care of its hair better. I hope that everything will work out just fine.

could she just shave the dog herself? or would she just be more comfortable taking it to a groomer? good luck!