Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 12-24-2009, 12:47 PM
Top Dog

I personally can't stand when people mislabel pits at the shelter. The shelter I volunteer at does it all the time.
One, people who rent or live somewhere with BSL and are oblivious to the fact that their dog is a pit bull risk getting evicted or having their dog taken and killed.
Two, when the people adopt their wonderful pittie but don't know he's a pittie they continue to dislike pits even though there's is great because they thought their dog was something else.
Three, some people who don't like pits will return the dog after enough people tell him it's a pit bull.
Four, the people like me who go on petfinder looking for pit bulls will not get him to come up on their search so even though he might be just what they are looking for they won't know he's out there.
Five, pit bulls, like every breed, have their own breed traits like high energy and dog aggression that they need to be prepared for. If they think they are getting a breed without those tendencies it could be a poor match and the dog and person would be unhappy.

So don't lie. Feel free to say he's mixed but don't leave out that he's a pit and just make sure to gloat about his awesome qualities.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 12-24-2009, 01:16 PM
Just try me..

I think the adopters should know for SURE what the dog is, for the dog's sake. But if people want to do the DNA test so insurance companies don't get to turn ppl away.. then I am fine.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:02 PM
Ontario BSL rescue

I don't know if anyone knows FOR SURE what this dog is, except that he is without a forever home. Thanks for all of your ideas about his breed and the pros and cons of relabeling a dog that looks like a Pit Bull.
Old 12-30-2009, 09:31 PM
Ontario BSL rescue

adojrts - Thank you. It turns out that the run itself is the reward. Corky loves to run. If he pulls I stop. He doesn't like stopping so every time he pulls a bit less.
Old 12-31-2009, 03:06 AM
Active Pup

The dog is jsut suffering from sensory overload right now. Give it time and it will come around. You should try and get a training clicker and just start clicking it every time you give the dog a treat. No training. Just sit in front of the dog and give the dog the treat and click. Keep doing it until they start to associate the sound with the click. Eventually it will help you get the dogs attention and make BOTH of your training experiences happy ones.