Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 12-26-2009, 04:38 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

You might still want to consult with a vet orthopedist for a second opinion, just to be sure. There's a window of opportunity for surgery and *if* you were to decide that's the way to go, you need to know ASAP. I'm not saying to do surgery, because I've seen many that had surgery and were no better, but I've seen some wonderful happy endings too, so it's at least something to investigate.

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 12-26-2009, 05:05 PM
Top Dog

is he is pain?

Our dog had a similar injury and we chose to euthanize him, he was in tremendous pain and the painkillers didn't help enough. Your dog will need an MRI and surgery ...recovery from that surgery can mean 24/7 care for over a month while your dog is either in pain, or doped up on drugs.Ask yourself is you can provide that type of time/care and is it fair to your dog?
Old 12-26-2009, 05:07 PM
Twin 2.0

I'm sorry you're having to go through this It's very common in doxies as you've heard.

Figure out if surgery is even financially feasible for you and then get that opinion quickly. I've seen some dogs that did great after the surgery, but the owners had to be more careful with them afterwards, because the risk of relapse is still high.

The meds might work, a wheelchair might be in his future, the surgery could work...it's all kind of iffy right now.

((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))
Old 12-27-2009, 02:43 AM
Top Dog

I'm praying for Stogie! I pray in Jesus' name that Stogie will be completely healed! Keep faith, I have seen miracles happen through Jesus!
Old 12-27-2009, 08:01 AM
<--------Orson

Sending prayers and warm thoughts for Stogie, you, and your family. What a terrible thing to be going through.

He is a very handsome little guy by the way
Old 12-28-2009, 08:36 PM
Big Dog

I'm so sorry to hear about Stogie's troubles. Sending healing thoughts your way . . .
Old 12-29-2009, 12:11 PM
Top Dog

Completely heart-wrenching. I said a prayer for him just now after reading this.
Old 12-30-2009, 06:05 AM
Active Pup

My prayers are with you man.

You got to be tough for yourself and for your wife.

Like some others said, it depends how are your finances, do you have insurance for him?

Just have faith and believe that whatever is going to happen will be for the best. As mere mortals, besides our attempts to heal with medical advances, that's about all we can do.

I wish you all the best.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:56 PM
Active Pup

Default dacshund spinal cord injury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
This NOT the post I wanted to make on Christmas Eve....

My 4 year old Dachshund mini, somehow developed a spinal cord injury. His rear legs are going limp. We took him to the ER on Sunday and his regular vet Monday. We were told this is really common in his breed. He suffered NO injury that we are aware of. This came out of left field.

They put him on Steroids, Muscle relaxers and pain killers in pill form, and gave him 2 steroid injections. Told us to keep him in the crate for 10 to 21 days (ER said 2-3 weeks, vet said 10-14 days). We've done just that, he's either in the crate, out for eating, bathroom breaks and that's it.

Day #2 (monday) after the injections at the er, he was a little better - which seemed great.. even a slow recovery would be a blessing. Now 4 days later he's significantly worse. He's lost almost all control of his back legs. He can not walk without assistance. I had to hold his a$$ end up with a robe belt so he could pee... kind of like a back end sling.

The ER doc told us we may have to put him to sleep because his quality of life after this type of injury is low and would be cruel for us to keep him around. My wife has been in tears for days, me too....

The Vet said we had options, but lets see what 10 days of medical therapy (pills listed above + bed rest) does.

This is one of the hardest things I've ever seen, and been thru. It's nothing short of heart wrenching and heart breaking to watch this poor 9 lb dog drag his legs behind him - and for no good reason! he Played fine on Wednesday, and was significantly hurt on Sunday! We don't know why this happened, but here we are....

WHAT ARE OUR OPTIONS HERE? Any and all advice, help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.
we have a miniture wirehair dacshund she to has the same prob it could be lafora passed by the parents but it could be her spine in the last year she has slowly lost the use of legs she can stand but then her front ones are weak been to vet today she has a water infection .but our vet thinks like yours we should put her to sleep she cant play in the garden anymore we carry her everywhere but like you we love her to bits but is it about us or the dog ,we have been given steroids today to try but i no she will never walk again we just keep putting it off she is only 5 .