Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 12-26-2009, 08:56 PM
Top Dog

omg...they really said that to you? Yikes.

puppies and cats can go either way...just for future reference you can always have your rescue "cat tested" before you adopt
Old 12-26-2009, 09:02 PM
Top Dog

I agree with all above ... this is a pup . BUT ~ sometimes this " attitude " can go back to the breeder's fault . Was he well socialized from day one ? I understand your vet's scuffing and alpha roll , but not at his age . Springers are very sweet dogs when they know who's boss ! Good luck and keep us posted ! Add : I just read your last post . Yes, BAD breeder ! You may have to start from day one .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 12-26-2009, 09:02 PM
Twin 2.0

Oooh yeah, dont' listen to her. Well, you're probably not working with the best start here, but not to worry! My guess is that she didn't do much with the puppies, or if she did, it wasn't the nicest, which could be/probably is causing some of your issues now. Just be patient, matter-of-fact and calm when dealing with your little land-shark.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:04 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Criosphynx View Post
the problem is, to understand our advice, you need to be on the same page as us...if you read our advice but deep inside still feel your dog is dominating you, our advice wont work.
Point taken.

Quote:
have you actively taught him what IS appropriate? Removal, to me, alot of the time is simply managing the behavior...you also need to actively install NEW wanted behaviors.
We praise him when he backs down, if that's what you mean? Problem is, he doesn't stop until you remove him, so not sure what you mean...

Quote:

Trade
him objects. Always. You are teaching him to resource guard otherwise. Don't scold or "no" at him..you will simply correct the growling...not the intent...so when the growling goes away, he will try another tactic...usually BITING. Never never never correct growling...this is why so many kids and people get bit and the dog gave "no warning"
Wow, I'd always been told that taking things from a dog was the right thing to do, to teach them submissiveness. Oops.

Quote:
why are we carrying him? Let him walk.
He won't walk to time-out by himself Guess we could try dragging him by his harness.

Quote:
perhaps you need to teach structure to play for now (drop, fetch, give) Iam sure many people here can teach you how to teach those things if you need help
We're working on "drop it" now, trading toys for treats or praise. Maybe that will help...
Old 12-26-2009, 09:07 PM
Active Pup

Yes, a very bad breeder, I now realize. *sigh* It's almost made me wonder if I should return the puppy to her, cut my losses, and find one with a better temperament, but for one thing, I'm getting attached to the little fellow and I believe he's getting attached to me (right now he's curled right up up next to me, asleep -- awww) and for another, he's still young enough to mold, right?
Old 12-26-2009, 09:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
We praise him when he backs down, if that's what you mean? Problem is, he doesn't stop until you remove him, so not sure what you mean...
my comment is just kind of general...unless you plan on...for the rest of his existance, always removing him...it would be better to teach him what you DO want instead and ignore the rest. I would ad toys/treats to the equation as a reward for doing what you want...praise doesn't always cut it

Quote:
He won't walk to time-out by himself Guess we could try dragging him by his harness.
if you absolutely feel he needs a second to calm down...you should leave instead...dogs associate punishment with whatever just happened....so in your case...being carried will now be whats being punished..since thats what immediatly happens before the time out....he can't think that far back...or he may see being carried as a reward if hes into that....does that make sense?

Quote:
We're working on "drop it" now, trading toys for treats or praise. Maybe that will help...
good good...teach this....trust me.

YouTube - "It's Yer Choice"

this is golden..watch the whole thing. It teaches the dogs self control.
Old 12-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbatd View Post
I understand your vet's scuffing and alpha roll , but not at his age .
Not at ANY age!!

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 12-26-2009, 09:34 PM
Top Dog

Sorry Corgi .... but if you do the alpha when grooming at 2 weeks , it teaches them to relax . The scruff is no more than a Mom would do at 4 weeks .... just a reminder !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 12-26-2009, 09:46 PM
Yeah. So?

Quote:
Sorry Corgi .... but if you do the alpha when grooming at 2 weeks , it teaches them to relax . The scruff is no more than a Mom would do at 4 weeks .... just a reminder !
Why on earth would you "alpha" a two week old puppy? There are far more easier ways to get a dog to relax.
Old 12-26-2009, 10:02 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

Quote:
Wow.

Um.

What grooming does one do on a two week old puppy??
And why on earth would you need to alpha roll a pup who isn't even standing up yet??
Wow.

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team