Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 12-24-2009, 10:32 PM
Big Dog

Default Dachshund spinal cord injury... Limp legs, HELP!

This NOT the post I wanted to make on Christmas Eve....

My 4 year old Dachshund mini, somehow developed a spinal cord injury. His rear legs are going limp. We took him to the ER on Sunday and his regular vet Monday. We were told this is really common in his breed. He suffered NO injury that we are aware of. This came out of left field.

They put him on Steroids, Muscle relaxers and pain killers in pill form, and gave him 2 steroid injections. Told us to keep him in the crate for 10 to 21 days (ER said 2-3 weeks, vet said 10-14 days). We've done just that, he's either in the crate, out for eating, bathroom breaks and that's it.

Day #2 (monday) after the injections at the er, he was a little better - which seemed great.. even a slow recovery would be a blessing. Now 4 days later he's significantly worse. He's lost almost all control of his back legs. He can not walk without assistance. I had to hold his a$$ end up with a robe belt so he could pee... kind of like a back end sling.

The ER doc told us we may have to put him to sleep because his quality of life after this type of injury is low and would be cruel for us to keep him around. My wife has been in tears for days, me too....

The Vet said we had options, but lets see what 10 days of medical therapy (pills listed above + bed rest) does.

This is one of the hardest things I've ever seen, and been thru. It's nothing short of heart wrenching and heart breaking to watch this poor 9 lb dog drag his legs behind him - and for no good reason! he Played fine on Wednesday, and was significantly hurt on Sunday! We don't know why this happened, but here we are....

WHAT ARE OUR OPTIONS HERE? Any and all advice, help and guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Want to see a Video of Stogie? Click his picture
Old 12-24-2009, 10:46 PM
Tweleve Enthusiest

So very sorry.

Do you have anywhere that does hydrotherapy? It's sometimes very helpful. Also if there's a chiro vet you can go to, they might have more options to offer.

((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))
<<<<<<<<vibes>>>>>>>>

Extreme owner of four herding dogs

puzzles, poetry and so much more ~ Doggy Puzzles created by me
sleep!!!
My dog Votes!
proud member of the MUMS 2009 7th place team CISRA 2009 1st place team SUMS 2009 2nd place team
Old 12-24-2009, 11:06 PM
Top Dog

I am sorry, what a shame. However, there are options it just depends on what you can or are willing to spend. I know the first thing they would have to do is an MRI, depending on what the problem is and how serious it is, surgery maybe an option. There are also countless dogs that have spinal cord injuries that do have a quality of life and they are mobil with those rear end support carts.

You may have options, get him to the best if you can.
I would also contact the Doxie breed club and ask them for some direction.

Good luck
Old 12-24-2009, 11:45 PM
overdogged

what are your finances like? is a referral to a neurologist an option? back surgery isn't cheap but it can be near miraculous for some dogs.

also, i've seen plenty of doxies do great in carts.

as to why... he's a dachshund. there doesn't need to be any kind of significant injury, or anything you did wrong or could have prevented. sometimes it just happens.

wishing you guys the best.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 12-25-2009, 03:49 AM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

I used to work for an ortho vet and our top patients (in numbers) were mini Dachshunds. It is very common in the breed, unfortunately. Good luck to you!

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 12-25-2009, 09:36 AM
Top Dog

One option might be a doggie wheel chair if nothing else works.

K9 Carts | K-9 Cart Pet Wheelchairs Dog Carts | Handicapped Pets Mobility Aids | Disabled Pets

Dog Wheelchair - Adjustable Perfect Fit

Can someone please kill this flea before it jumps on Lola
Old 12-25-2009, 04:00 PM
Puppy Dog

I have no advice to offer, just my thoughts. I sure will be thinking about your little guy. I hope everything works out for the best.
Old 12-25-2009, 11:48 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I wish I knew something that would help but I have no experience here whatsoever. I am so sorry this is happening. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 12-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Big Dog

Well, another trip to the vet today... Stogie is still completely (or 99%) limp on the rear end and rear legs.

The vet said to keep him on the med's for at least another week - 1 Dexo-somthing (steroid/cortisone) a day, and 3x daily on Methocarb (muscle relaxer) and Tramadol (pain killer).

The vet said he doesn't know if the med's are working or not, but even if his back legs are completely limp - that doesn't mean his case and injurys are over... Basically told us to keep the faith.

I explained we are walking him with a sling around his rear end keeping it up, he said that's all we can do. He suggested not putting him in a wheel chair cart thing yet, because if he gets used to that, and if his legs do get better - it might do more harm than good, keep with the sling approach for now.

He also said while surgery is an option, the hard reality of it is sometime's surgery doesn't make it any more likely for recovery than the med's do... which sucks, but...................

BOTTOM LINE? Keep the faith, keep up with the med's and hope for the best. I guess we watch stogie suffer for another week and see what happens....

Want to see a Video of Stogie? Click his picture
Old 12-26-2009, 04:23 PM
Top Dog

I'm so sorry that you all are going through this . Have faith that the meds will work . Not using a cart yet makes sense . Please keep us posted and you have my prayers and healing vibes .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/