Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 12-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Top Dog

Good to know ! I've never had it and never even given shots until needed for kenneling , parks etc .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 12-10-2009, 06:05 AM
overdogged

as others have said, patience. it's self-limiting in most cases, and while it's a real pain in the neck (it made luce cough so hard she puked on my pillow), for most otherwise healthy dogs it's not a serious danger.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 12-10-2009, 08:22 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Mary's son Bronki was terribly susceptible. I don't know if his vaccine was defective or what but he got it anyway. HE would cough so hard at night no one got any sleep. I would take him into the bathroom turn on the shower and prop him up on pillows. IF he laid flat on the ground he couldn't breathe at all I read a book of vet stories where he complained that people would bother him at night because they were too lazy to come into the clinic during the day. I was annoyed when I read it because kennel cough is so much worse during the pm you think things are getting scary worse. He should have known that.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white cat
Old 12-10-2009, 09:02 AM
Love my pets

I did hear that the kennel cough vaccine only covers about 50% of the strains out there.

I had all my dogs come down with it after adopting a dog that supposedly was over it but I guess wasn't. Eventually, all my dogs went on medication and one of mine had to give injections daily instead of the pills. He also went into pneumonia. I spent endless nights in a bathroom with the shower going to create steam because of the deep cough.

Try to keep your dog calm and see the vet if the condition doesn't improve. I don't take kennel cough lightly after my experience.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:55 AM
Top Dog

Thanks, everyone. She's been on antiobiotics for 4 days now, so I think that's helping. The coughing seems to be worse when we're outside-- it's pretty darn cold here right now, so that might trigger it. I'm keeping her inside and away from other dogs for the time being.
Old 12-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Top Dog

aw, poor guy! sorry to hear he caught it. hope it's not too bad though. i know as well that the vaccine only makes it milder if they do catch it..would be nice if it could totally prevent it!