Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 12-04-2009, 03:29 PM
Top Dog

I'm very sorry to hear about her diagnosis..poo dog. i hope that she gets proper treatment and gets well soon. hang in there.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsarebetter View Post
whoa, in lung cancer pretty common with dogs?

can smoking around them cause it?
I had to look this up recently when Malcolm developed aspiration pneumonia a second time ... wanted to see what i was up against (BF smokes in house, but away from the dogs, but still). Yes, they can develop lung cancer from second hand smoke.

I've seen it more common in dogs with osteosarcoma though. Seems like once you get that diagnosis, if advanced, it's often spread to the lungs.

-----------------------

to the OP - Good luck to your mom and her dog!!

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 12-06-2009, 11:18 PM
Big Dog

Primary lung tumors are cancers that arise in the lung tissue of both dogs and cats. They are rare in both species, but slightly more common in dogs.

The most common type of tumor is a carcinoma. Carcinomas are malignant tumors that develop from the epithelial tissues in the lungs. They may be primarily derived from the lung tissue itself, or the airways or bronchioles.

The exact cause of lung cancer is not known, but there appears to be an increased incidence of cancer in dogs that live in urban environments, as well as dogs that are exposed to second hand smoke. Lung cancer is generally diagnosed in older animals, with an average age of about 11 years, but it can also be seen in younger pets.

There are no known predispositions with respect to breed or sex and the development of lung tumors. However, most lung cancer is seen in medium to large sized dogs.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:48 AM
Top Dog

I'm sorry to hear about your mom's dog.

Lung cancer is, as others have said, usually metastasis from other tumors. Whenever we take an unusual lump off a dog, especially if it's been there for a while or has changed a lot, we give owners the option of taking an xray first to see if there are any densities in the lungs, because if there are then there's not much benefit to removing the primary tumor (unless it'll make them more comfortable). I've seen it most commonly with mammary tumors, but it can happen with any.

You may want to see about getting an abdominal ultrasound done to check for masses. It's minimally invasive, and can give you a good idea of what may be going on. We've never had to sedate a patient for an abdominal US yet, and we've been doing them at work for over 2 years now.
Old 12-07-2009, 12:51 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricky View Post
Primary lung tumors are cancers that arise in the lung tissue of both dogs and cats. They are rare in both species, but slightly more common in dogs.

The most common type of tumor is a carcinoma. Carcinomas are malignant tumors that develop from the epithelial tissues in the lungs. They may be primarily derived from the lung tissue itself, or the airways or bronchioles.

The exact cause of lung cancer is not known, but there appears to be an increased incidence of cancer in dogs that live in urban environments, as well as dogs that are exposed to second hand smoke. Lung cancer is generally diagnosed in older animals, with an average age of about 11 years, but it can also be seen in younger pets.

There are no known predispositions with respect to breed or sex and the development of lung tumors. However, most lung cancer is seen in medium to large sized dogs.
Plagiarising some more, eh Ricky?

Primary Lung Tumors in Dogs (Lung Cancer, Pulmonary Neoplasia)
Old 12-07-2009, 01:21 AM
The Littlest Hound

I'll suggest the US to my mother - something I hadn't thought about yet!

My vet also suggested a rectal exam, as she said it's a pretty common "cancer area"... I'm shocked my mother is taking this all in stride. She gets weepy talking about it on occasion. I don't really think it's hit me yet, but I'm sure it will the week I have her over Xmas.

Lastly - I thought all of his advice on the healthcare forum HAD to have been copied and pasted from elsewhere...

Thanks everyone for your continued support! It's nice to have other dog owners who understand around I'll be posting photos of my dogs from a coonhound event in the near future, and TONS of cleo, I'm sure, starting around the 20th...

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CCH 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage CA

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)