Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-22-2005, 09:56 PM
Top Dog

This reminds me of many years ago when I went to our Golden Retriever annual awards dinner.... I had shown briefly years before but was the first one for recognition for a Therapy Award... when they mentioned the awards, a lady behind me said " oh please, lets get to the real stuff !" Yes, she bred and showed wonderful Goldens, but for her to put me and my Golden down really pissed me off !!! This is a club to recognize All accomplishments of the breed. Since then, they've been kinder. Though she now is nicer and kinder, I still remember and won't forget her " Snob" attitude.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 09-22-2005, 10:17 PM
Top Dog

That's incredible. People are jelous or something...feel insecure, like it was said. What a snooty witch.

The jerk I was hanging out with but never again, (who's mean to his dogs) said one time, while watching Lyric in the grass, "You're going to have trouble with Lyric when he gets a little older." He said this when Lyric was playing in the yard recently and Lyric is two years old. He was doing nothing wrong but running around, bouncing and pawing and pouncing around with a stick in his mouth. He is a very playful, exuberant young Doberman, but a good boy, stays out my gardens, doesn't mess with my flowers, doesn't pee on my bushes and is doing well in agility and doing some more advanced obedience. I couldn't figure why he'd say this because Lyric is very well mannered in the house and obedient...nice to people, can take him anywhere... and just a great dog. Wouldn't he be messed up by now if he was going to be? He's two. Good heavens!
Old 09-22-2005, 10:49 PM
Are you dead yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom
Talk that lady into taking her BC's out tracking with you and see who wins. Different dogs for different purposes and one's not meant to be better than the rest.
Very well put!

Don't let that lady bother you. I notice that Border Collie people really do become "BC Snobs" and tend to put down other breeds, it's unfortunate and VERY rude. Zeus will probably outdo her Border Collies in certain areas, just as her BCs will probably outdo Zeus in certain areas. No breed is universally proven to be BETTER than another in everything. It is all a matter of opinion.

Some people think a slower, more thorough dog is 'better'. Some people think that a lightning-fast quick thinker is 'better'. It's all a matter of personal preference.

(Randomly, BCs are really versatile dogs and -can- track quite well, but I would never expect a BC to out-track a hound.)
Old 09-23-2005, 04:43 PM
Felurian

[/I]Oh, good grief! Some people just need to get over themselves . . . :rolleyes.

When Charley lived in Florida there was a woman down the road from him who won all sorts of international obedience trials with her dogs. Charley had OddJob (Bull Mastiff/Rottie/Catahoula cross - breeds not known for winning at obedience, lol). Charley just offhandedly told OddJob to do things, like go to the porch, go get something for him . . . to stay in one place, to guard something, you know, just random [I]things[I]. The woman evidently watched him with Oddsie for a few weeks, then finally stopped to ask Charley about it one day, thinking he was some sort of obedience champion, lol. He told her that no, he didn't do any obedience stuff, just had always talked to his dogs and expected them to learn. She was amazed and confided to one of his friends that Charley did things with his dog on a daily basis that she would never even dream of getting her obedience champions to do.

So . . . THAT for obedience breeds, lol!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-23-2005, 04:50 PM
yuckaduck

Do you love Zeus? Does he do what you want him to do? If yes then he is better than any other breed out there, for you! I think hounds are great dogs, they are so much fun and so loving. I had a mutt hound growing up and there is no better dog in my mind. Now everyone shshshs do not tell Marc because his feelings would be hurt. He thinks gsd's are god's gift to earth and there is no other breed. Not say I do not love the gsd breed, I do but I also love others out there!

Oh and BTW many people here complain because Yukon is too big and will be a monster. Well his growth is right on track according to the height and weight chart of the gsd. So HUH?? Morons! How would they know?

People are just jealous of what a beauty you have!
Old 09-24-2005, 09:05 PM
Ol'Dogger

BC's are driven because they are meant to herd but not having things to herd they will excell at whatever job given to do. Try living with one of these hyperactive driven dogs. Unless you "love" the breed they will drive you crazy and very destructive if not given something to do it is just the way they are. Give me the hounds anyday. In our obedience club we had a lady that had a quite high scoring black and tan coon hound don't say hounds aren't good at obedience. They maybe a little slow but they are good obedience dogs. Alot of hound breeds do great in obedience. I have known many. I trained and finished an afghan hound a friend of mine had his scores were consistantly in the high 180's which is good for a hound. Hounds are steady consistant workers. I'll take that over hyper any day.