Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-04-2009, 04:12 PM
Taxiderpy

Default Why does he hate Jehovah's Witnesses so much?

This is just becoming really weird. Strider never barks at people approaching the house. He's a service animal, loves everyone, had the poo socialized out of him, but turns into a crayzay beast when they're coming.

He's not cuing off me or anything, since they are totally invisible until I open the door the only way I know someone is coming is because he barks. This time he started barking when they were at the end of the driveway. When I open the door instead of standing next to me he tries to block/brace in front of me. He doesn't growl or anything aggressive, just that booming bark and trying to keep them from touching me.

The first time it was two men. The second was a young couple, and the third was two young ladies, all different people. And he reacted the same every time.

Yet, he loves the magazine salesmen, the Mormon missionaries, and the UPS man, etc. This is seriously bothering me, because I can't figure out why he is objecting so strongly to them. Outwardly they seem like nice enough people, and it's different people. The only thing they have in common is their religion, and I have a hard time believing my dog is a bigot.

As a note, the block/brace thing is one of his tasks, but he was taught to stand behind me and do it when we're in line somewhere in public, or standing in a crowd, not in front of me.

Any insights? BTW, he has never acted like this outside our house, or toward any other people. Just the Jehovah's Witnesses.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:32 PM
Top Dog

Do they all dress a certain way?

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 12-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
Do they all dress a certain way?
In suits, but so do the Mormons and he loves them. They even get a full body wiggle from him. Plus, he sees people in suits all the time when we're running around downtown and at church.
Old 12-04-2009, 04:37 PM
Salty Sea Dog

i was gonna say it could be clothes if they tend to be "uniform" dressers...

but that being said...Ruby HATES them too, she will generally keep out of the way when people come to visit but if she starts baying at the door i know not to open it...
jasper doesnt like them either but i dont know if hes just feeding off ruby...

and here theres no "uniform" but they do tend to send little old ladies because folks around here are less likley to turn away a little old lady.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 12-04-2009, 04:38 PM
Taxiderpy

Yeah, that's the weird thing is he goes off long before he ever sees them, so it wouldn't be their appearance anyway. Smell? Sound? weird.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Top Dog

Do YOU know who they are? Maybe you are subconsciously especially irritated by Jehovah's Witnesses, and he picks up on it?

I dunno, but it seems like a pretty sweet deal to me.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
Do YOU know who they are? Maybe you are subconsciously especially irritated by Jehovah's Witnesses, and he picks up on it?

I dunno, but it seems like a pretty sweet deal to me.
If that was the case he would hate my mother in law a lot more. What I can't figure out is what about them sets him off when they are still 50 feet from our house and totally out of sight.
Old 12-04-2009, 05:20 PM
Top Dog

He is just warning you to not open the door that it's people coming that no one usually wants to talk to anyhow

Can someone please kill this flea before it jumps on Lola
Old 12-04-2009, 05:23 PM
Top Dog

Jehova's Witnesses... have been known to use coercive pressure when they go door to door. And I'm not anti-JW or anything, that's just really how they are.. that's how they think they're supposed to do it. Maybe Strider picks up on that.

Old 12-04-2009, 05:27 PM
Top Dog

lol Romy!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcladymacbeth View Post
Jehova's Witnesses... have been known to use coercive pressure when they go door to door. And I'm not anti-JW or anything, that's just really how they are.. that's how they think they're supposed to do it. Maybe Strider picks up on that.
They can be pretty intense, and I thought maybe they STARED at the house or something?

But when I read the post I read it as he barks before they're even in sight?

How far away, could he smell them?

Does he look out a window?

or are they not visible to him, and he just randomly barks and then 30 seconds later Bingo! Jehovah's Witness? Because if it's the latter that is just creepy and I have no suggestions lol.