Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-01-2009, 05:06 PM
just call me Nilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxBoyOU View Post
Yes! Clicker training is the best! I use it religiously and it WORKS. If you have an iPhone, use the "Clicker Training" app. It is a clicker in your pocket and gives tons of advice. It is how I learned to click train. It can be downloaded here: iTunes Store
Good Luck! And happy clicking!
I know I know, I'm double posting... but OMG THERE IS A CLICKER APP?!! I need this now.

Seriously. LOL

I think that would solve my problems with never having a clicker!! HAHA

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 12-01-2009, 07:08 PM
Top Dog

hahaha just downloaded the app on my itouch...it works, but well, everytime you need to use it you have to unlock the darn thing, so its kinda not very effective.

...oh wait...as I typed that I figured there must be someway to make it not lock...so I just switched mine to "never" lock, haha.

The sad thing is the most I've used my itouch since I got it like 4 months ago (my bro gave it to me...he got it with his laptop). This is one hella expensive clicker!!!!!

Thanks Jessie!

Old 12-01-2009, 07:16 PM
<----Thanks Allie

just an FYI, a "clicker" is just a "marker" and you don't actually have to use the clicker.

You can use a keyword to replace the click. Like you could say "yes" instead of clicking. Muffin is actually afraid of the clicker noise(bc he's afraid of everything!!!) so that's what we ended up having to do.

It's not the best, but if a clicker just isnt for you, you don't *have* to use it.
Old 12-01-2009, 08:27 PM
just call me Nilly

We *were* using YES as a marker for Sierra, but I was told that because it's not as concise as a clicker it can confuse the dog as to what behaviour you're marking, so I sort of weaned it out. But then I failed with the cliker entirely, so maybe that's really what I should be using... at least then I was consistently using something.

Gosh this can get confusing

Julia: Mom to Sierra (adorable mutt - Basset x Cattledog is our best guess these days) Buddy (noisy but awesome DSH tabby cat) and Carter (adorable human baby) RIP Nya 1994(?) - 2010
Old 12-01-2009, 08:42 PM
Top Dog

I didn't read the whole thread, but:

Before I got Click to Calm, my jrt was unable to be within about 30 feet of another dog without screaming, barking, and gagging himself/going absolutely insane on leash. He now can play with dogs he knows and is fine around other strange leashed dogs as long as they stay away from about 2 feet away.

I've never used any other book but click to calm has tons of insight on what causes aggression, and how to manage it.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 12-01-2009, 10:56 PM
Big Dog

The book came yesterday and I love it so far! I really like Emma Parsons's writing style and the way she formats the exercises in 'recipes'. I also got a clicker from the store today, so hopefully we can start training at the end of the week. I'll let you all know how the training goes. I'm also trying to enroll her in an obendience class so she can practice working around other dogs. Unfortunately, they just cancelled the class at the humane society that my first dog took, which had a great teacher and curriculum, so I'll need to find a new place for her.

Unfortunately, I don't have an iPhone. I have a bad record as far as losing cell phones, so it didn't seem like a good choice for me.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:20 PM
Top Dog

Dreeza...I don't have anyone to help me either and so I have had to use neighborhood dogs as training tools....

I had to first desensitize to barking sounds (easy to find barking dogs) and then barking dogs behind fences...then calm dogs behind fences...then I worked up to stray dogs and other dogs on leash ( just outside the doors at petco is good for this) if you scout out your neighborhood really well you will get to know your neighbors dogs and their intensities...

a helper would be better, but if you absolutely can't get anyone to help you there is still alot you can do without one...just be careful not to overwhelm your dog or put yourself in a position you can't get out of.

I haven't read CTC yet, but I have Read som' of Emma work online... I have control unleashed and enjoyed it tremendously.
Old 12-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Big Dog

I introduced her to the clicker today, giving her a treat each time I clicked, and later worked on eye contact with her using the clicker. Even though we just did simple things, it worked really well. When I just use treats to train her she gets overexcited and literally throws herself on the floor doing any trick she can think of, but with the clicker she was much calmer. I think tomorrow we'll try eye contact outside w/few distractions, and sitting w/the clicker.

I've decided to start my older dog on the clicker too (working with them separately). She just loves to eat, and after the third time I clicked, she was trying to press her nose against the clicker (no treats for that, of course ).
Old 12-03-2009, 05:42 PM
treehugging clicker freak

That's great!

I LOVE clicker training. Its so fun! I taught Maddie to find & fetch the remote with the clicker a long time ago Awesome trick! I haven't done it since we moved, and got a new TV/remote. I should work with her with that again

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o