Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 10-20-2009, 05:27 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
Pawz, that is your opinion and I respect it.

But don't allow your opinion to cloud over the fact that more dogs are happy, healthy family members while also being chained/tethered than those that are abused.

Just because you believe dogs want to be inside in a crate all day doesn't mean you can actually read their minds thus have the authority to speak for them. My dogs don't want to waste their time stuck in crates in a dark room watching Animal Planet. Don't believe me? Just ask them...I guess.
Here...I never said this about dogs in general
Old 11-29-2009, 12:36 AM
Ruddy Buttinski

Pretty much, you can't legislate responsibility. Though that apparently doesn't stop people from trying. And who's going to define "responsibility" anyway?
Old 11-29-2009, 06:23 AM
The Littlest Hound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolas Dad View Post
There are a lot of dogs that are living on a tether or chained up 24/7. I think that is wrong to chain a dog up 24/7. These dogs get no human interaction at all and the only time they do is when they are being fed and that is IF they are being fed.
OUCH! While I personally keep my coonhounds inside (being that we have only two), I know plenty of people who keep theirs outside on chains. One of my best hunting buddies does this, and his in tact male coonhound listens better than most of the "'house dogs" in my neighborhood. He gets off his chain periodically throughout the day and follows my buddy around to clean kennels and just generally meander through the yard. He's also a high quality show dog, and a working hunting dog. He's not lacking for anything, including human interaction (they have a fabulous and very special relationship!) and he is CERTAINLY being fed!

Other friends of mine were primarily tethering their hounds as well, and they got off the chains plenty for training, hunting hard almost every night of the week, and traveling to hunts and shows. And yes, they're being fed, too!

It's statements like the one you posted that fuels these HSUS-type groups. My goodness! Go to the HSUS's website and watch the video about "hunting with hounds" - but with the sound off! Aside from photos of a few emaciated dogs that were from who knows where, and one yahoo slapping his dog with what looks like a long horse whip, all you'll see is bordering-on-chubby, ECSTATIC dogs pursuing game. Listen to the commentary and suddenly all the dogs are skinny, neglected dogs who never see humans except on few & far between hunting trips... it's amazing.

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CH CCH CA 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage OFA Hips: Good

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug (5/2004 - 3/2014)
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 11-29-2009, 02:50 PM
Top Dog

I think this is a issue that can be affected by area.

Personally, if I tethered my dogs outside...unsupervised.... eventually one of two things would happen....

they'd be poisoned

they'd be stolen.

keep in mind where I live the largest lots are 1/8th an acre...and all lots but up to streets...

My nieghbor tethers their dog night/day...it barks like mad, sleeps in the street and nearly hangs itself on a regular basis. It scares passing children and annoys all the neighbors...I have also seen stray dogs attack it.

that said, the TETHER is NOT the issue...if the dog was tethered in a different area (say that back yard they don't use) all those issues would go away (expect stolen/poisoned, like I mentioned already)

or perhaps they shouldn't have gotten the dog to begin with, but thats another can of worms.

I understand som' of you tether for good reasons, but I must admit the first thing I think when I see a barking dog tied up in som'ones yard isn't "wow what a great dog owner".

The act has a stigma attached because others are ruining it for you. Unfortuanetly...where I live, I see it used incorrectly...all.the.time.
Old 11-29-2009, 06:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlottMom View Post
OUCH! While I personally keep my coonhounds inside (being that we have only two), I know plenty of people who keep theirs outside on chains. One of my best hunting buddies does this, and his in tact male coonhound listens better than most of the "'house dogs" in my neighborhood. He gets off his chain periodically throughout the day and follows my buddy around to clean kennels and just generally meander through the yard. He's also a high quality show dog, and a working hunting dog. He's not lacking for anything, including human interaction (they have a fabulous and very special relationship!) and he is CERTAINLY being fed!

Other friends of mine were primarily tethering their hounds as well, and they got off the chains plenty for training, hunting hard almost every night of the week, and traveling to hunts and shows. And yes, they're being fed, too!

It's statements like the one you posted that fuels these HSUS-type groups. My goodness! Go to the HSUS's website and watch the video about "hunting with hounds" - but with the sound off! Aside from photos of a few emaciated dogs that were from who knows where, and one yahoo slapping his dog with what looks like a long horse whip, all you'll see is bordering-on-chubby, ECSTATIC dogs pursuing game. Listen to the commentary and suddenly all the dogs are skinny, neglected dogs who never see humans except on few & far between hunting trips... it's amazing.
Their not saying that you can't keep your dog in a garage at night or a large shed. They are saying that you can't keep your dog tethered outside between 10pm-6am. Now I am sure that your friend that tethers his dogs outside over night has a shed or garage or a barn on his property that they could sleep in at night.

I think it is a great idea especially in some parts of PA where they have Coyote. What's to say that a Coyote will not harm a dog that's tethered outside. They kill livestock so I am sure that a tethered dog would be fair game for a Coyote and even easier because the dog can't run far if he had to.

Can someone please kill this flea before it jumps on Lola
Old 11-29-2009, 06:56 PM
Top Dog

Is there a problem with some tethered dogs and how they are treated? Sure, just like there are dogs who have problems who are not tethered. Lack of socialization, general care, basically being left outside alone. It's not just tethered dogs who have that problem. There are plenty of happy healthy dogs who enjoy being outside who are tethered for whatever reason- lack of funds to have a fence, whatever it might be.

If you don't want to understand why people might tether their dogs, then stick to the causes you might have a better grip on.

I don't tether my dogs because I'm lucky enough to have a nice sized fenced in yard, and they have free run inside and out, but I can understand the need and really, lack of issue when people use the tether responsibly.

Yeah, I'm one of them too.
Old 11-29-2009, 09:35 PM
The Littlest Hound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lolas Dad View Post
Now I am sure that your friend that tethers his dogs outside over night has a shed or garage or a barn on his property that they could sleep in at night.
Bear has a dog house, he just refuses to use it. Unless it is flat out freezing rain and hail, he will sit his fool butt out in the rain. He doesn't even like coming in my apartment when I have him for a long weekend. He's a 75lb male and close enough to the house that I don't believe they've ever had a problem with 'yotes. The beagles are all contained in kennels with indoor/outdoor access at all times.

The Plotts:

Very Missed:
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 11-29-2009, 11:10 PM
Top Dog

The law if it passed or not yet I do not know but it was brought up because their are people in PA who have their dogs tethered 24/7 and the only time they have any human contact is when they are brought food and water. Sometimes people do not even do that. Also if I was living in PA and a neighbors dog was barking in the dark of night being tethered outside all night I would have a complaint.

Old 11-29-2009, 11:44 PM
The Littlest Hound

So let people get in trouble for violating noise ordinances, or animal cruelty - DON'T punish the people who are doing it RIGHT! If we (I live in PA) just had more dog law officers doing their JOB and actually ENFORCING the laws we already have, it would be a non-issue

The Plotts:

Very Missed:
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 11-30-2009, 12:01 AM
Top Dog

What ordinances would be enforced for leaving a dog outside tethered in the winter when the temps are around 10 degrees? What ordinances are violated where the dog that is tethered is not even provided a dog house?