Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 11-27-2009, 03:46 PM
Active Pup

Default My Littlest Chi get Infections from Rabies Vaccine.....

Hi all. I have a 3 1/2 year old chi, and starting with his first rabies vaccine, the injection site gets infected. I notice it, about a month later, as a little fluid pack builds up, and gets bigger and bigger until the vet has to lance it, and then he puts him on double antibiotics.

I don't know what to do. My 2 smallest dogs (he's the smallest) go potty indoors on wee-wee pads, and don't go outside much at all. If I do take him out, he is in my hands at all times. At this point, I am very inclined to simply not give him the rabies vaccines at all. He gets it subcutaneous, and I realize there is one they can administer IM, however, he is so tiny, that an IM shot would really cause him pain for several days. (I fostered a little one like him a few years ago, and the IM vaccine caused him so much pain).

Also, here in Florida, the 3 year rabies vaccines is not recognized, nor used. At least here in Central Florida. Anyone have any ideas? I just hate to see him go through this year after year after year, as the infection usually is not gone for sometime; usually around 3-4 months.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:14 PM
Salty Sea Dog

you would have to see your vet and see if they would be willing to write a note for your municipality that excuses him due to "allergy"

i have a note from my vet excusing ruby because the rabies vacination almost killed her due to a bad allergic reaction.
she says its likely going to be the same for jasper.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 11-27-2009, 05:46 PM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoGal View Post
Hi all. I have a 3 1/2 year old chi, and starting with his first rabies vaccine, the injection site gets infected. I notice it, about a month later, as a little fluid pack builds up, and gets bigger and bigger until the vet has to lance it, and then he puts him on double antibiotics.

I don't know what to do. My 2 smallest dogs (he's the smallest) go potty indoors on wee-wee pads, and don't go outside much at all. If I do take him out, he is in my hands at all times. At this point, I am very inclined to simply not give him the rabies vaccines at all. He gets it subcutaneous, and I realize there is one they can administer IM, however, he is so tiny, that an IM shot would really cause him pain for several days. (I fostered a little one like him a few years ago, and the IM vaccine caused him so much pain).

Also, here in Florida, the 3 year rabies vaccines is not recognized, nor used. At least here in Central Florida. Anyone have any ideas? I just hate to see him go through this year after year after year, as the infection usually is not gone for sometime; usually around 3-4 months.
The 3 yr is accepted in quite a few areas in central Florida ... you might want to investigate that a little further!! Where I am (Pasco), they recognize the 3 yr vaccine, but you have to buy a license every year. When I was in Pinellas, they had a 3 yr license.

Edit - I just verified that Hillsborough and Polk also accept the 3 yr vaccine.

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 11-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Yorkie Love

I had a dog who also had issues with rabies injection sites... you should talk to your vet about a note.

If your dogs are going potty indoors and spend little time loose outside, they are really at pretty low risk for rabies... but there is a risk and that is a personal decision you need to make.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:34 AM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by colliewog View Post
The 3 yr is accepted in quite a few areas in central Florida ... you might want to investigate that a little further!! Where I am (Pasco), they recognize the 3 yr vaccine, but you have to buy a license every year. When I was in Pinellas, they had a 3 yr license.

Edit - I just verified that Hillsborough and Polk also accept the 3 yr vaccine.

Hey there. Yes, in Pasco county they do recognize it as my friend gets that for her dog (my penny's puppy). However, as far as I know in Seminole County, they do not recognize the 3 year rabies, but may the 3 yr annual vaccines (minus the rabies)>
Old 11-28-2009, 11:01 AM
Collies&Terriers, Oh My!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoGal View Post
Hey there. Yes, in Pasco county they do recognize it as my friend gets that for her dog (my penny's puppy). However, as far as I know in Seminole County, they do not recognize the 3 year rabies, but may the 3 yr annual vaccines (minus the rabies)>
I've heard about the tougher regs in Seminole. They only allow 2 pets per household as well in some areas I think.

I found this on their website, but it doesn't mention the frequency.

Quote:
Section 20.51 RABIES VACCINATION REQUIRED

It shall be unlawful for the owner of any rabies-susceptible animal, for which a licensed vaccine is available, to fail to have said rabies-susceptible animal vaccinated against rabies by a licensed veterinarian of his choice.
I wonder if you contact them and explain the problem maybe you can get a waiver if you get a letter from the vet and agree to titer test annually??

Quote:
If you would like to register a complaint or if you have any questions about these ordinances, please call 407-665-5110.

~Smooth Collies~

URO1 CH "Smidgen" RA,WW-RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)
URO2 CH "Dora" RN,CGC,TT,HIC,VC (2/3 CA)

~American Hairless Terriers (coated)~
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "OE" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
UFR USR GRCH 'PR' "Spud" TT (UKC Total Dog Award winner)
Old 11-28-2009, 02:29 PM
Puppy Dog

I'd also talk to the vet about getting a waiver. And never give up hope! We're your neighbors in Lake County and just went to 3 year rabies not too long ago!