Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-17-2009, 12:30 PM
Just try me..

I enjoyed Bones Would Rain from the sky for the most part.. but it was a bit too 'out there' in some ways. I love Jean Donaldson but she doesn't write stories. Shaping Success is a good story, nicely written but very much geared towards agility fans. (not that it isn't a great read for anyone interested in dogs)

What we need is someone like Dr Ian Dunbar to write the equivalent of My Horses My Teachers by Alois Podhajsky.
Old 11-17-2009, 12:35 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

I Found a stack of the old dog classics at the thrift store and have been reading them one by one. I was thinking today that although i hate coon hunting, how it is done, the whole business of it, i can still enjoy the book because of Little Ann and Old Dan. Same for Old REd. COuldnt' disagree more with the show end of it and how it was making the BEST of the breed. A lot has happened since that book was written to prove that mankind just screwed everything up even with our "good" intentions. I don't have to agree with every word that is written in a book to take some good from it and i guess i feel the same way about Jon Katz's books. There are good parts in there and I don't regret reading them. Any more than I do Where the REd Fern Grows. I have read Old Yeller outloud to both my children and twice since then, and i bawl every time. Good Dog books are hard to come by. I only wish the modern ones could come close to the old greats. THey seem so sterilized somehow.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 11-17-2009, 06:14 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I don't have to agree with every word that is written in a book to take some good from it and i guess i feel the same way about Jon Katz's books. There are good parts in there and I don't regret reading them. Any more than I do Where the REd Fern Grows. I have read Old Yeller outloud to both my children and twice since then, and i bawl every time. Good Dog books are hard to come by. I only wish the modern ones could come close to the old greats. THey seem so sterilized somehow.
But...Where the Red Fern Grows is a fictional story . Jon Katz' books are nonfiction.

Old 11-17-2009, 08:03 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

My point was I can read something I don't totally agree with but i can still find some good in it. I think there is some good in his books. I enjoyed learning about Izzy and the bull. Liked them both a lot. I will have to find Bedlam farms so I can find out about how he pushed rose. I thought she came by it naturally.
I am curious.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 11-18-2009, 07:46 AM
Top Dog

I agree Smkie. A book can be well written, entertaining and enjoyable, even if, say....in the case of books about dogs, the people don't know beans about training dogs or whatever. Take Marley and Me. That was one of the best written dog stories I've ever read. It was poignent, funnier than hell and incredibly entertaining. And he reason Marley was such a "bad" dog is because those people were clueless about how to train a dog. There were all kinds of little parts in the book and the movie where you could see their big mistakes. But I could shrug them off because the owners adored Marely and he was treated kindly and loved beyond most peoples' capacity. And he wasn't claiming to know anything about dogs. He pretty much admitted that they were flying by the seat of their pants. There was nothing instructive about the book whatsoever. It was merely a story.

As far as a book specifically (or even incidentally) designed to teach people HOW to handle or train dogs, such as Cesar Milan's book, I don't care how entertaining it might be, IF it's teaching unsuspecting people to mistreat dogs, I am pretty sure I would object to it. Even if there are parts of it that are good, I would never recommend a book that also has parts which would misguide people into doing harm to their dogs or their relationship with their dogs.

I haven't read Jon Katz's book so I can't make any judgement about that one.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson